Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to YETI and about to build up my 575. I am a bit confused about the derailluer cables. First, what type(s) do you recommend? Second, do you have to use fully enclosed cable housings? Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.:)

·
EDR
10,441 Posts
Rear cable is full housing. Cable routing can be found HERE on pg. 18.

As for the type of cable, use whatever you'd like. I am running cheap cable I can buy by the foot from the lbs. I had some Avid Flakjacket housing/cable I paid like $25 previously. There is no performance difference (to me) between the $1 a foot cable and that expensive stuff. I ride in a really dry climate so ymmv.

·
EDR
10,441 Posts
pono39 said:
Do I have to use full cable housings? Everything I read says that I have to use a completely sealed system. Is this accurate?
1) Why would you not want to run full housing?
and
2) There are no cable stops for the rear so you would need to makeshift some. Besides if you read the rear der. routing instructions you'll see how it is routed in an "S" shape over the bottom bracket. How on earth would you manage that without using full cable housing? You'd have to route it some other way, but again, why bother with all that?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perfect - thanks for the info. Never used full cable housing kits before. My MOJO had all cables run along the top tube and upper part of seat stays. Just need to adapt. Thanks again!

·
EDR
10,441 Posts
pono39 said:
Perfect - thanks for the info. Never used full cable housing kits before. My MOJO had all cables run along the top tube and upper part of seat stays. Just need to adapt. Thanks again!
If you ride in wet/muddy conditions there is a real benefit to full housing. Otherwise just having the cable fully routed in housing (in theory) provides crisper shifting and is absolutely necessary with 575 just b/c of how it's run to the rear.

Have fun with the new ride!

·
EDR
10,441 Posts
pono39 said:
Thanks for all the info. One last one - do I need to get the derailleur housing in an 'extra long' version or is standard ok?
You can take a piece of string and run it like the housing, then measure...to be sure of the length.

The last stuff I ordered was Jagwire Hyper housing. It was 1.8 meters long and was way more than sufficient.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.