Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy.
my gf has an old trek bike, and here's the problem - which frankly i haven't tried to fix yet.
When she cranks the pedals, going uphill or in high gear from the dead start, the cranks skip about half a turn. Chain does not jump from one gear to another, which makes me thing the allignment is proper, but the cogset is either loose or worn.

Any troubleshooting tips would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
751 Posts
since it's on the power stroke, i'd guess its the chain, cassette, and chainrings (or any combination of the 3). if it has been sitting for a LONG time, then give everything a good cleaning and lube before you start replacing stuff. the rear hub should be ok... if your rear hub was shot, it'd have problems spinning even going downhill..

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
kirrill said:
so, new rear wheel + cogset and a chain to start?
You should not need a new wheel (unless there are other problems that you're not telling us about).

I think it's likely that you need a new chain, cassette, and chain rings. You might be able to save a bit of money on the chain rings if you only replace the ones that are worn.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Haven't tried fixing it yet, but probably this week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.