Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2+ full seasons on an NX Eagle derailleur. It's working fine, but it's been through 2 hanger-bending incidents so I'm not expecting it to last much longer. I had always intended on upgrading to GX or X01 at some point but now it doesn't seem like you can buy NX, GX, X01 at retail anywhere. Two LBSs laughed at me. I can't find them online anywhere that'll ship to Canada. The used market is really tight and cosmetically annihilated parts are fetching retail.

I discovered last night that according to my favourite YouTube channel (LoveMTB), a Shimano 12 speed should swap right in. XTR is easy to come by ($379 CAD), but SLX and Deore don't exist. I found an XT at an online retailer, so I need to hurry up and finish this rant before they sell out.

Yesterday, I think I bought the last 12 speed chain available locally in my city of >1M people. It's this gold-coloured titanium thing that cost twice what I'd ever expect to pay and will clash with my colour scheme, but it's better than not having a chain and not being able to ride. Since it's titanium, hopefully it lasts twice as long.

Most of the discussion about the parts shortage has been about production not ramping up to meed the surge in demand. I wonder how much of the demand now is people like me, starting to horde.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,261 Posts
That used to be the case, up to and including 11 speed.

With 12 speed, one of them swapped their pull ratio, and now you can mix and match shimano shifters with SRAM derailleurs, and vice-versa.
This is true. We put a Shimano 12 speed XT shifter on a buddy's NX 12 speed bike and it worked flawlessly for about a year and a half until he finished the upgrade to all Shimano XT.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Actually have a few spare XO1 derailers in my parts stash, never know when you might need one, along with enough parts to rebuild the bike if necessary.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
706 Posts
I don't know why people are so opposed to getting creative. I just jumped on PB classifieds and there are plenty of new and new/other SRAM derailleurs for sale, and some of those from dealers/bike shops. In the first two pages I saw an NX, GX and XX1 all at reasonably correct price points.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,441 Posts
Hmmmm...I haven't heard about this
They ARE different, but the difference is exceedingly small. If you're picky about how things work, then you'll probably notice and will hate it. Dialing in the adjustment is even more finicky as a result. But if not, then you'll probably say it's "flawless". It's not flawless, but it'll work.

·
slow
7,041 Posts
....which is why I buy parts every time I find a deal, even when I don't need the part at that time.
Same here. Right now in my garage I have 6 extra derailleurs, 5 new cassettes, 5 new chains, several shifters, multiple extra new brake pads for the different brakes on my bikes, spare wheels, a couple of sets of extra brakes, and multiple new and lightly used tires all found on extremely good deals at various times. I have also built most of my bikes with interchangeable components. My bikes almost never see down time.
None of my drivetrains have more than 10 speeds, so I have been able to pick up great deals on parts being discontinued at various retailers and from riders who can't ride with fewer than 11 or 12 speeds.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,567 Posts
Frankly, when it comes to things like brakes, I keep two part numbers on hand and drive train similar. One DM standard is all that will be on the shelf.
I can dig through the take off bin at the LBS in a pinch and typically find good used parts in a pinch.

·
monster member
1,030 Posts
I was totally expecting two derailleurs screwed to a wall with a core across to put toilet paper roll. Which actually sounds like an awesome idea. Or maybe even better, the front of a frame cut so it's mostly the head mounted on the wall, and a suspension fork holding a toilet paper roll at the dropouts. Maybe an idea for the Over The Bar Cafe bicycle pub here in Pittsburgh.
Bicycle pub Pittsburgh

·
Thicc Member
1,159 Posts
Actually have a few spare XO1 derailers in my parts stash, never know when you might need one, along with enough parts to rebuild the bike if necessary.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk
I used to...but with the increased demand for bikes, I put my spare parts on my old frames and been selling them for a nice chunk of cash. So I'm doing my part to help the market haha.

·
Ride what you like!
671 Posts
Shucks, I thought this was going to be a thread full of suggestions on repurposing old front derailleurs as tp. I was going to say that inner tubes would work better, less sharp edges. I'll just see myself out now

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hmmmm...I haven't heard about this
It’s true I used an XTR shifter on an NX eagle setup. Worked perfect despite everyone and their mother saying it wouldn’t. The XTR shifter is phenomenal as well

·
Evolutionsverlierer
1,365 Posts
Shucks, I thought this was going to be a thread full of suggestions on repurposing old front derailleurs as tp. I was going to say that inner tubes would work better, less sharp edges. I'll just see myself out now
Yeah, I am rough rider and my little tush has seen many miles in the sattle but I gave up rather quickly on using old front derailleurs which I have plenty of as the new tb.
Guess I might be not such of a rough rider as I thought so I might dig into my inner tube stash.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts