Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use a 48 big ring and a maximum 32 large cog.
May i use a med cage XO?

Yes, i will be cross chaining!!

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
Well

jasonwa2 said:
I want to use a 48 big ring and a maximum 32 large cog.
May i use a med cage XO?

Yes, i will be cross chaining!!
NOPE.................:nonod:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Regardless of everything that has been posted, the medium cage X.0 does work with a 48t. I don't claim to know anything more than anybody else and my education consists only of arch. engineering, english (h.s. english teacher by profession), and Japanese cultural studies. I did ride as a factory rider for GT in my early days but knew less about the mechanics of a mountain bike then than I do now. Here's my setup:

XTR M952 Crankset 26/36/48t
XTR BB 116mm
PG-990 11-32
X.0 RD medium cage
PC-991 Hollow Pin chain

Another thing, the recommendations on chain length and derailleur housing length seem to be more of a general guideline rather than a set in stone affair. For example, the graph included in the instructions indicated that you need to cut the housing based on a certain length between the last cable stop and the rear derailleur. My length of 191mm was nowhere on that graph, so what should I have done then? Also, I adjusted the chain according to the "big+big then add 2 links" formula and the rear derailleur cogs and cage were riding on themselves and the cassette in the small chainring/small cog combo. I had to take out three more lengths. I was worried about the chain being too short, but it does shift into all combinations of gears, even the unuseable ones that I will not ride unless by accident. The frame is a 17.5 inch 2006/2007 Trek 8900, you guys can see part of the build-up in the Trek forum.

Hope this doesn't open up any cans of worms...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.