Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the reason I am asking here is because this will be going on my '08 Heckler. I have SRAM X.0 trigger shifters going on it and want to pair that up with an SRAM X.9 rear derailleur. I noticed they come in "Short", "Medium", and "Long" sizes. Which one would be the best decision for a Heckler? Oh why is it so difficult for every single decision.lol Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay I've been reading up and found out this isn't exactly an easy question. I now know it's referred to as "cage length". Okay so how does this sound: I'm using 44-32-22 crankset & thinking of going with a 11-34 cassette(any suggestions on decent cassette's BTW?) and was thinking of going with the Medium length X.9 SRAM Derailleur.....seems the shifting would be more snappier. Sound like a good combo for my Heckler? This is going to me my all purpose all-rounder bike for I guess what is considered all mountain use. Thanks again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I dont know if it has anything to do with snappy shifting. It has to do with how big of a range of gear sizes you need to cover. You could be at 44front and 34rear on one extreme and 22f and 11r at the other extreme. From what I've seen, people who run triple chain rings run long cages. Doubles run meduim. Single up front get a shorty. Anyone else run a medium with a triple up front?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scottie3000 said:
I dont know if it has anything to do with snappy shifting. It has to do with how big of a range of gear sizes you need to cover. You could be at 44front and 34rear on one extreme and 22f and 11r at the other extreme. From what I've seen, people who run triple chain rings run long cages. Doubles run meduim. Single up front get a shorty. Anyone else run a medium with a triple up front?
Thanks, I was reading up again and yes it appears that as a rule of thumb triple chain rings=long cage.....but I would still be curious as to see if anyone is using a medium length on triple rings as well.....but now after reading up on them it seems as if the long length would be my safest bet.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Fwiw

Hellbound said:
Thanks, I was reading up again and yes it appears that as a rule of thumb triple chain rings=long cage.....but I would still be curious as to see if anyone is using a medium length on triple rings as well.....but now after reading up on them it seems as if the long length would be my safest bet.
I switched from Long to Medium cage X.9 on my two ring with bash setup. I previously had the long cage with 3 rings. I do think the shifting is a bit better but also notice on wipe outs or if the medium rear d gets knocked it does not get bent or pushed around like the long model did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.