Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned tonight, that when you own a high forward single pivot bike, with a three ring crankset, to make sure you get a long-cage rear dérailleur.:madman:

It's not a huge deal, but I'm going to need to remember, not to drop into the small, small combination. :arf:

It seems to me...that the plus side to my "faux pas" is better chain control than a long cage derailleur offers, when in a proper gear combination.

If anyone needs a med cage XT shadow derailleur and wants to arrange some kind of swap, let me know.
It's brand spanking new.
I'll trade for a XT Shadow long cage model. New of course.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, it will only be a problem when I get really tired and can't think straight, then start up-shifting in the granny ring to the small cog.
I was talking to one of the pro level riders at the shop where I bought it yesterday, and he was telling me, that he and other riders take the risk of running a med cage dérailleur with the triple cranksets to get better chain control.
He admitted to me, that the downside to that, is forgetting and shifting into the big, big combo, because it can rip the driveline apart.
I was told that a "Pro" setup, can result in bad things happening at both ends when cross chaining.
Thankfully, I don't cross chain unless I'm really tired.
I also set it up, so I have just enough slack in the big, big combo, although a person wouldn't want to forget and leave it there. :p

It turned out, I've been using a med cage LX all along, but the conventional Shimano dérailleurs have a capacity to take up a little more chain (outside Shimano's recommendations) in the small, small gearing combo, while their Shadow counterparts need to adhere strictly to Shimano's guidelines.

Later, Eric.

P.S. That Shadow XT dérailleur is the "shizzle".
It has much better chain control and shifting characteristics, than the conventionally designed Shimano dérailleurs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.