Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've installed the Gore Ride-On derailleur sealed cables and housing on a new mountain bike. Because the frame was new to me, I didn't have old housing to compare lengths. I'm having a problem with the rear derailleur adjustment that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

On this new frame, the rear housing has a continuous run from the back of the top tube all the way to the rear Sram X-9 derailleur. I'm able to adjust the derailleur perfectly on my bike stand, but when I ride the bike-compressing the suspension- the derailleur is way out of adjustment. When I compress the suspension by hand, I can see that the housing is flexing/arching at the pivot point and the rear derailleur is moving.

Could the cause of this be that I cut the housing to short? It appears that to long would not be an option. If I cut the housing any shorter, the ferrules will probably start to pull out of the housing stops on the top tube.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

Mike

https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/mobujen/BikeHousing1.jpg

https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/mobujen/BikeHousing2.jpg

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Clean looking bike! Congrats!

Yeah, you've nailed your problem -- housing is too short. I know it's nice to trim things "just right", but you've got to make sure to leave slack for the suspension and derailleur to go through their range of motion. I think it's under too much tension as pictured, and sitting on the bike relaxes it.

First thing I'd try is to remove the housing hold-downs and seeing if the situation improves, but this will only confirm what we already suspect. Pretty sure the answer is going to be longer housing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nate for confirming my problem. When I was making those cuts, I thought for a second to start long but of course I didn't listen to my own advice :madman:

Now I need to see if I can buy some Gore Ride-on housing, liner and cable for just the rear instead of the entire set.

Mike

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
AlBeThere said:
Thanks Nate for confirming my problem. When I was making those cuts, I thought for a second to start long but of course I didn't listen to my own advice :madman:

Now I need to see if I can buy some Gore Ride-on housing, liner and cable for just the rear instead of the entire set.

Mike
Measure twice, cut once

BTW- if it's any consolation, you're not the first to cut housing too short. Among experienced mechanics, most will admit to having done the same at least once, and the rest are liars.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great Advice!!

Thanks guys for the sound advice and recommendations!!

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.