Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The clanking is kind of bugging me. I run XTR rapid rise with dual control. I was going to get a Shadow, but its not available in rapid rise and of course switching to SRAM is an option, but would mean replacing brakes, shifters, derailler, not really worth it. My derailler has a small rubber pad on it...anyone installed a chainstay cover over the horst link or made any other improvements? Also, is there a better gear than others to be in to reduce the noise?

Thanks!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yep...I switched to Shadow RD as well....problems eliminated. I found the frame clanking really aggravating, I'm sure others don't find it such a big deal. It's an easy enough upgrade, what bothers me is why my LBS didn't do Shadow or SRAM in the first place:confused:

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
as the others have said...if you want to keep the rapid rise, the only option is to dampen the clunk by covering the pivot....

shadow is the second best option.... otherwise SRAM (no brake change necessary, probably just new levers if you are running dual control)

·
Registered
844 Posts
I totally forgot to mention in my original post....that's one sexy ML! I love the spoke/headset/hub/seatstay combo in red. Really nice.

And hey is that a "thingamajig" on your RD? Do you like it?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ebeer said:
I totally forgot to mention in my original post....that's one sexy ML! I love the spoke/headset/hub/seatstay combo in red. Really nice.

And hey is that a "thingamajig" on your RD? Do you like it?
Thanks for the compliments! It's not quite as pretty as it was in those pics since I've put a lot of hard miles on her since then. Yes, it's an Avid Rollamajig and I love it. Combine that with Teflon cables and the bike shifts incredibly well and dirt, mud, etc., don't seem to have much of an affect at all on it. I'd highly recommend it, although doesn't the Shadow model do away with the cable loop anyway?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crisillo said:
as the others have said...if you want to keep the rapid rise, the only option is to dampen the clink by covering the pivot....

shadow is the second best option.... otherwise SRAM (no brake change necessary, probably just new levers if you are running dual control)
Thanks...I'll probably work on dampening the sound for the time being. Does anyone have a pic of someone's pivot who has done this? I may try to adapt a lizard skins chain stay protector to fit over it and see how that goes...or perhaps some rubber strips just on the back of the pivot so it looks a little better.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yes, the Shadow loop is much less (very SRAM like). I've been really happy with it, and so far no issues at all. Just curious about the rollamajig...I had considered that before switching to the Shadow.

My original XT RD came with a rubber gasket (below). Unfortunately it wasn't enough to stop the clanking.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had the same problem with the XT RD on my Motolite. Epoxied a very small section of inner tube onto the bit of the derailleur that contacted the pivot - no more problems. It still hits, but the sound is very muffled. 30 second, essentially free fix. :thumbsup:

·
Chilling out
6,038 Posts
rollamagic makes rear cable loop on shimano rear-d much happier. I've used one for years with them, makes the setup last longer too since that last loop IMO is the highest-likelihood of crap collection in the tube. Straightening it out lessens wire-rub and binding, which is death to rear shifting on shimano if you ask me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.