Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Someone stole my Pacific!
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went on a ride with a bunch of friends, and one of us ripped the derailleur hanger off. I'm a beginner, so I never really encountered this before. After seeing all the problems we ran into (tried singlespeeding it, chain was too tight, ended up snapping the granny ring off the crank), I decided that I'll never ride again without a spare piece of chain and at least 1 derailleur hanger in my pack!

This sounded pretty easy, and pretty cheap to accomplish. I was wrong.

The bike is a 2001 or so Trek 4500. There's no number on the hanger. I also can't find any online reference tables that tell which hanger this is. Since this is a sacrifice part, I figured that it would be easy to find out which one it is. I was wrong! Didn't find anything on Trek's website either, under "Parts". Where do I look?

Why are they so expensive? For just a little piece of aluminum with a few holes drilled into it, I'd expect the cost to be about $8 or so. Comparatively, it looks like the rear derailleur for my bike is around $75. There's a helluva lot more parts, engineering, and precision in the derailleur than the hanger. Why would the hanger, just a little piece of metal, cost 25% of the derailleur itself?

Is there any place to buy hangers in bulk? Not that I'm expecting to rip a dozen off or anything, but I ride with sometimes upwards of 70 people. I'm sure a lot of them have the same hanger as me. Seems like if we got a good deal on a box of 10, it would be easy to find 5 people who would go in on it, and each take 2.

Thanks for any help you can offer, and sorry for the long winded post. I'm new to cycling, and a lot of this may seem basic and obvious to more experienced riders, but to me, it doesn't make sense!

Frank
:)

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have had these same thoughts every time I need a new hanger. My only conclusion is most of these hangers are made specifically for your model, so you're stuck. The fun part is when you can only get it from the manufacturer because the lbs is all out, and they don't have any until they make more. It can take months to get one. In the meantime your stuck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.