Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After bending the derailleur hanger on my 2007 F4 back to shape a couple of times, I ordered a replacement (made by Wheels Manufacturing). After installing it, when I put the derailleur back on, it didn't seem to sit as close as with the previous hanger. I now can't get the derailleur adjusted properly to save my life and I'm pretty certain it's a result of the hanger. Has anyone had problems with these? Any tricks? Am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
nicholasc2 said:
Is there a reason why you didn't just order a new Cannondale hanger from a Cannondale dealer?
Does it matter? I bet he did it based on price.....And I doubt the issue is due to the Mfr. of the hanger...Tweaked RD or maybe even tweaked dropout...
CDT

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was only asking because it just adds another layer to the source of the potential problem. A simple typo somewhere could also be the reason why things aren't working.
Backnsaddleagain - did the replacement look exactly the same as the remanants of the broken hanger?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought it along with an order of other items as a backup to keep in my Camelbak.

I can notice maybe a slight difference in thickness of the two hangers, but I don't have a caliper to measure it. It almost seems like the threading in the replacement doesn't allow the bolt from the derailleur to go in as much.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There is a tool for straightening derailleur hangers:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=39
I've used it before, but you might be able to emulate it with something(s) you have lying around to check that your hanger as aligned when installed.
Once you've checked the hanger by itself, then try to check that the derailleur hangs straight and swings in an arc parallel with the the wheel rim.
If the brand new hanger isn't aligned perfectly straight on it's own then it suggests frame problems, but I think this is unlikely.

Does the threading continue all the way through the hanger?
What derailleur are you using?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The threading goes all the way through the hanger. When I attach the derailleur to the old hanger, the bolt seems to go in further than the new hanger. I wish I had something other than my eyes to check this. I'm going to play around again tonight and see if I can notice anything

It's an x.7 derailleur BTW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.