Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
nobody
Joined
·
490 Posts
Yeti342 said:
Thanks, but they don't have it any other suggestions. Kevin
On that site there's a link where you can ask them to try and locate one for you. I'd try that first. If that dosen't work I don't know what to tell you.

Sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
give this a try...

Yeti342
Thanks for taking a look at my site for your Haro derailleur hanger. I have over 100 different types of hangers in stock.I'm not sure why you didn't see your hanger on my Haro page.

Please email me a digital pic or fax me a drawing/tracing/photocopy. I want to have all hangers so I need to know if you have a hanger that I should have. I probably have it 'cause many framebuilders (regardless of brand) buy dropouts from dropout manufacturers then proceed to build their frames. Thus, many brands wind up buying the same hanger/dropout and one hanger can fit 10 different brands.

Let's take the next step, send me a pic. I'll do the legwork for you. Crazy as this seems, this is what I do.
 

·
members only
Joined
·
338 Posts
Hang-Me

hangman said:
... I want to have all hangers...
Nice... I like to see web sites providing nich parts & hard-to-find items
Tho personally I don't need a hanger right now, I don't see any Titus hangers http://www.titusti.com

Another question, your web site states: "...professionally engineered aftermarket derailleur hangers. This means that they are stronger than one that came from the OEM..."
Don't you want the hanger to be a specific strength to avoid derailer breakage ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
ET_SoCal said:
... This means that they are stronger than one that came from the OEM..."
Don't you want the hanger to be a specific strength to avoid derailer breakage ?
The point of breakaway hangers is not to prevent derailleur damage. They reduce frame damage.

Make the hanger too weak and it bends and flexes easily and shifting performance suffers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
breakaway strenth

ET_SoCal said:
Nice... I like to see web sites providing nich parts & hard-to-find items
Tho personally I don't need a hanger right now, I don't see any Titus hangers http://www.titusti.com

Another question, your web site states: "...professionally engineered aftermarket derailleur hangers. This means that they are stronger than one that came from the OEM..."
Don't you want the hanger to be a specific strength to avoid derailer breakage ?
Great question. The hangers I'm having made (one by one) are milled from billet aluminum. OEM hangers are made from what is referred to as "pot metal."

A billet is a block of aluminum of "X" grade. It's pure.

Pot metal is made from the recycled aluminum scraps that machine shops sell back to metal forges. The scraps are drillings and shavings from previously manufactured product that the machine shop made. The scraps can (and are) from varying grades of aluminum, sometimes even steel gets thrown in the mix. It's like a mutt puppy.

Hangers made from pot metal are softer and cheaper. They do serve the function to "sacrifice themselves" and break before (as the reply below states) in order to not toast your aluminum frame. That's the most expensive thing.

Hangers made from billet are stronger because they are pure and the grade of aluminum is known. Engineers specify material requirements in their frame building plans.

My "non-engineer" status precludes me from making this next statement as actual fact, but I understand from many conversations with machinists that a good billet alumimum suitable for use in a derailleur hanger can typically be 20% stronger than cast or "pot" metal.

There is a balance to be struck. Too strong and the frame gets it.Too weak and every little meaningless encounter with a tree throws your derailleur out of wack which leads to the catastrophic failure that is so common it keeps my little website in business.

A billet hanger seems to be able to take a more significant hit without jeopordizing the frame.

Again, great question. I'm moving to get all my hangers made from billet although it's been almost 2 years already and I only have about 50 out of the 110ish hangers available from billet. It's a work in progress.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,850 Posts
ET_SoCal said:
Another question, your web site states: "...professionally engineered aftermarket derailleur hangers. This means that they are stronger than one that came from the OEM..."
Don't you want the hanger to be a specific strength to avoid derailer breakage ?
Its a pretty common misconception that a hanger is intended to save the derailleur. Its intended to save the frame. Mostly aluminium frames. A hit capable of taking out a derrailleur will typically do it with or without a breakable hanger. Making it so soft that it will easily break away will just mean a lot of shifting and alignment problems. Most frame manufacturers would prefer the hanger to be as close to integrated as possible. Look at Santa Cruz for example. Many (or most?) Ti and steel frames I'm prety sure don't even bother with replaceable hangers.
 

·
Meh
Joined
·
284 Posts
I'll vouch for hangman's hangers. I ordered a hanger for my Jekyll and its a nice, solid feeling piece of aluminum. Looks good with my X.0 derailleur also.

I'll keep my original hanger as a spare but his hanger fit perfectly with close tolerances.
 

·
MTB Rider
Joined
·
3,007 Posts
I'd rather ...

shiggy said:
The point of breakaway hangers is not to prevent derailleur damage. They reduce frame damage.

Make the hanger too weak and it bends and flexes easily and shifting performance suffers.
I'd rather break a derailleur than brake a frame.

I'd rather break a hanger than break a derailleur.

The purpose of a derailleur hanger is to die.
 

·
MTB Rider
Joined
·
3,007 Posts
Paper cups vs crystal ...

hangman said:
Great question. The hangers I'm having made (one by one) are milled from billet aluminum. OEM hangers are made from what is referred to as "pot metal."

A billet is a block of aluminum of "X" grade. It's pure.

Pot metal is made from the recycled aluminum scraps that machine shops sell back to metal forges. The scraps are drillings and shavings from previously manufactured product that the machine shop made. The scraps can (and are) from varying grades of aluminum, sometimes even steel gets thrown in the mix. It's like a mutt puppy.

Hangers made from pot metal are softer and cheaper. They do serve the function to "sacrifice themselves" and break before (as the reply below states) in order to not toast your aluminum frame. That's the most expensive thing.

Hangers made from billet are stronger because they are pure and the grade of aluminum is known. Engineers specify material requirements in their frame building plans.

My "non-engineer" status precludes me from making this next statement as actual fact, but I understand from many conversations with machinists that a good billet alumimum suitable for use in a derailleur hanger can typically be 20% stronger than cast or "pot" metal.

There is a balance to be struck. Too strong and the frame gets it.Too weak and every little meaningless encounter with a tree throws your derailleur out of wack which leads to the catastrophic failure that is so common it keeps my little website in business.

A billet hanger seems to be able to take a more significant hit without jeopordizing the frame.

Again, great question. I'm moving to get all my hangers made from billet although it's been almost 2 years already and I only have about 50 out of the 110ish hangers available from billet. It's a work in progress.
For a permanent part, I think it's important to have high grade materials. But we're talking about a part who's purpose in life is to take bullets for the frame and derailleur.

I'll take my cheapo $10 OEM hangers from my Giant dealer. Order them 5 at a time. And I'll feel lucky that I'm sacrificing a cheap piece of pot metal instead of a "pure" billet.

You take your crystal, I'll use my paper cups and throw them away when I'm done.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
willtsmith_nwi said:
I'd rather break a derailleur than brake a frame.

I'd rather break a hanger than break a derailleur.

The purpose of a derailleur hanger is to die.
And I would rather have the bike shift well even after minor biffs.
Derailleurs are tougher than most people think.
I have seen too many replaceable hangers severally bent or broken by a small stick that would not have damaged anything on a steel bike.

My real preference is a steel or Ti frame with a non-replaceable hanger that is less likely to be damaged in the first place and can be straightened or fixed if it is.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
willtsmith_nwi said:
For a permanent part, I think it's important to have high grade materials. But we're talking about a part who's purpose in life is to take bullets for the frame and derailleur.

I'll take my cheapo $10 OEM hangers from my Giant dealer. Order them 5 at a time. And I'll feel lucky that I'm sacrificing a cheap piece of pot metal instead of a "pure" billet.

You take your crystal, I'll use my paper cups and throw them away when I'm done.
Poor analogy. How about paper cup vs plastic cup. You throw out the paper cup after every use.

The plastic cup lasts longer, works better and is still cheap to replace.

Crystal would be an aluminum frame with a non-replaceable hanger. Break the hanger. Replace the frame.
 

·
smell my finger
Joined
·
290 Posts
Shameless promotion

Mike At deraillurehanger.com,

Thanks for the hangers, these billet pieces look serious and fit perfectl.! Schwinn hangers are becomming hard to find, and yours got here in 2 days from my order! Thanks again, great business!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top