Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
KevinK
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a light, but smooth/reliable set of derailleur cables. Reading posts, I've heard some negative posts on Nokons, and Alligator's. Any other suggestions for shift cables?

Thinking about Jagwire: Ripcords, Hyper, although, I don't know what the difference is other than color selections.

Any suggestions would be welcome!!! My build is almost complete thanks to the help of everyone who replied to my threads, on this forum.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
best derailleur cables are stainless steel.

Don't buy the stupid coated ones (whether it be teflon or some other). Stainless is the way to go.

If you are made of bucks, and you are very good mechanically you can choose IO Dupont Powercordz. With those you have one shot of getting your drivetrain setup perfectly. Repeating clamping on to these cables pinches and nicks the casing which exposes the fibres inside. At which point the fibres will break, and the cable will snap.

Unless of course you are talking about shifter housings. In that case Shimano Yumeya SP81. Simple to setup. Slickest shifting.

·
KevinK
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
COLINx86

Someone said the Alligator's made allot of noise when riding and turning. Is this true? The new Mini's seem very light, according to Nino, as pictured on his scale.

Cheers! amillmtb

Funny you mentioned the Sram X.0, as, these are the cables that are coming w/ my X.0 grip shifters and X.0 Rear derailleur I ordered. Just wondering if there is something better/lighter/reliable/durable out there.

Just looked at the Powercordz, price is pretty reasonable, compared to Nokon's or Alligators. Near the price of the Jaguar Ripcords. Would you use the inner fiber in a Nokon casing, another casing or the Powercordz casing. What do you think about the lube they add? Not sure about using lube in any cable set up. Maybe, the best way to go is SS line in a sleeve, inside some kind of casing?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
KevinK said:
COLINx86

Someone said the Alligator's made allot of noise when riding and turning. Is this true? The new Mini's seem very light, according to Nino, as pictured on his scale.

Cheers! amillmtb

Funny you mentioned the Sram X.0, as, these are the cables that are coming w/ my X.0 grip shifters and X.0 Rear derailleur I ordered. Just wondering if there is something better/lighter/reliable/durable out there.

Just looked at the Powercordz, price is pretty reasonable, compared to Nokon's or Alligators. Near the price of the Jaguar Ripcords. Would you use the inner fiber in a Nokon casing, another casing or the Powercordz casing. What do you think about the lube they add? Not sure about using lube in any cable set up. Maybe, the best way to go is SS line in a sleeve, inside some kind of casing?

Thanks,

Kevin
No-the i-links don't make any noise. It's the Nokon aluminiums that can make awful noise and need frequent lubrication to fight this.

If you are looking for LIGHT cables there's just 3 options:
Alligator Mini i-Link: 15,5g/m
Yumeya: 23g/m
Alligator I-Link: 27g/m

All regular housings like Shimano or Jagwire are around 32-34g for shifting.

But remember that only the i-links are fully sealed with a continous inner liner.This prevents them from dirt and dust and keeps them slick.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My choice is mini I-link plus powercordz.
Haven't heart complaints on I-link, some people may not like its outlook.
Last season was riding Nokon, no problem whatsoever, from time to time needs to be lubricated - becomes a little bit noisy, but this is not a big issue.
The biggest problem with Nokon is it's heavy and because its construction doesn't work with Powercordz, I mean works but looks ugly.

·
KevinK
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. Looks like I will be looking into some i Links.

Question: What is the difference, besides weight, and size between the Mini i Links and the i Links? Durability?

What kind of cable are you running in the i Links?

Thanks,

Kevin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.