Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is best practice when replacing derailleur cables? Should the barrel adjusters be turned all the way in to allow maximum adjustment or should you turn them out partly to allow for some shortening of the outer housing? If so, where should one start?

Ronnie.

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
Full adjustment

Ronnie said:
What is best practice when replacing derailleur cables? Should the barrel adjusters be turned all the way in to allow maximum adjustment or should you turn them out partly to allow for some shortening of the outer housing? If so, where should one start?

Ronnie.
Set up for full adjustment up or down usually about 3 or 4 turns backed out

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
danoalb said:
Set up for full adjustment up or down usually about 3 or 4 turns backed out
Do you mean 3 to 4 full turns out?

Ronnie.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
The barrel adjusters serve as the fine tuning mechanism and you want to be able to dial them up or down to get your shifting dead on perfect. The adjuster at the derailleur is good for making large adjustments and should also be set up with room to go either way.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sixty Fiver said:
The barrel adjusters serve as the fine tuning mechanism and you want to be able to dial them up or down to get your shifting dead on perfect. The adjuster at the derailleur is good for making large adjustments and should also be set up with room to go either way.
Except that XTR derailleurs do not have a barrel adjuster at the back. Only on the shifter.

Ronnie.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I always turn my barrel adjusters all the way in when setting up a derailleur or changing cables/housing, and then readjust for stretch/bedding-in with the barrel adjuster. That was the way I was taught at least; I think Shimano instructions will tell you the same, not sure about SRAM. If you overtension the cable, it might be best to have the barrel adjuster able to move either way...

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
I always turn my barrel adjusters all the way in when setting up a derailleur or changing cables/housing, and then readjust for stretch/bedding-in with the barrel adjuster. That was the way I was taught at least; I think Shimano instructions will tell you the same, not sure about SRAM. If you overtension the cable, it might be best to have the barrel adjuster able to move either way...
Thanks, I looked for instructions on Shimano's literature but couldn't find anything. That is what my logic first said but then it occurred to me that I might want to loosen a bit for adjustment. I just bought a set of pricey XTR cables and didn't want to loosen the pinch bolt once tightened.

Ronnie.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.