Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks my name is Dwight and im new to the forum :cool: . Anyways i just bought my first mountain bike which is a Mongoose Domain. Took it out of the box and put it together and im having shifting problems. When i shift the chain will not go to all gears on front and back. I have tried reading the directions on adjusting the derailleurs but now i think i have it even more out of whack. Can some body give me a step by step tutorial on getting this adjusted. Right now the way the bike sits the chain is on the inner of the front three gears and does not shift to the other 2 . On the rear it only shifts gears 3-6 out of 7. :madman:

·
Praise Bob
490 Posts
see Park Tool's Big Blue Book of Bike Repair

If you followed the directions exactly as stated on the Park website, or in their book and you still cant shift into all gears then you may have a bigger issue. First of all I want to suggest using the correct terminology to avoid confusion (no flame here, just trying to be helpful). The front "gears" are called chain rings (or just "rings") the back "gears" are called cogs.

It *really* helps to have a bike stand or a partner to help hold the bike. I am also assuming that your derailleur hanger is straight and you have the correct shifters (8-speed shifters for 8 speed cassette, 9-speed shifters for 9 speed cassette etc)

First start by loosening the derailleur cable from the rear derailleur. While holding the cable tightly in your left hand, shift the bike through all the gears with your right hand. Does each shift pull on the cable smoothly? When you downshift, does the cable release smoothly? Many shifting issues are a result of cable snags. If shifting feels rough you might want to lube the cables or re-cable the bike.

OK, assuming that cable operation is perfectly smooth now you are ready to adjust the rear derailleur. Note, keep the rear cable detached until step 6.

1.) Shift the bike into the middle chain ring (i.e. front)

2.) Turn your rear shifter adjustment barrel 3 turns out from all the way in. This will give you adjustment room later.

3.) Shift the rear into the highest gear (cable will release all the way).

4.) Set High Adjustment screw. Turn the cranks. The chain should be on the smallest cog (i.e. rear). The chain should pass smoothly through the derailleur without "jumping" or catching. Look at the rear derailleur by standing behind your bike looking towards the front. The top derailleur pulley should be directly aligned below the smallest cog. It should not be pushing the chain in or out. If there is rubbing then you need to turn the HIGH adjustment screw on your rear derailleur ¼ turn at a time until the chain no longer rubs.

5.) Now set the LOW limit screw. Keep turning the cranks slowly. Use your hand to gently push in on the derailleur parallelogram as if your hand was the cable. Make the bike shift into the largest cog by pushing in. If you can push the chain over the largest cog OR the rear derailleur wont go far enough then you need to set the LOW adjustment screw. Turn the limit screw ¼ turn at a time until you can push it into the largest cog without going over.

6.) Turn the cranks and the bike will shift back into the smallest cog. Pull the cable tightly and snug it under the cable bolt.

7.) Shift the bike through all of the gears. If the bike tends to shift in one direction faster than the other, then turn your shifter indexing barrel 1/8 of a turn until you get the response you want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeh i would say it has the right shifters . it has 1-3 on the left shifter and there is 3 chain rings and then it has 1-7 on the right shifter and there is 7 cogs. ill go through all of the above again and see what happens. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok now i have did all the steps above and i have to say im getting better results and can understand the directions better.

Only problem now is its not going into the largest cog or should i say the innercog or whatever , ill learn all the terminology later haha. when i did steps 5 and pushed on the derailleur it does go where it needs to but once i tightened the cable back up it dont make it to that one. so what do i adjust now to get it to that inner cog?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i have the front shifting to the inner and middle chain rings but when it goes to the outer it goes off of it , i have tried adjusting on the h screw but either it goes off the chain ring or wont go on it at all. what now? once again i appreciate everybodys help.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
So even the slightest turn of the high limit screw on the front derailleur makes or breaks it? That's one sensitive high limit screw. Just a bit at a time, pedal, shift, observe, try again, etc.
Welcome to working on your own bike. Once you get it it's like riding the bike itself...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
So even the slightest turn of the high limit screw on the front derailleur makes or breaks it? That's one sensitive high limit screw. Just a bit at a time, pedal, shift, observe, try again, etc.
Welcome to working on your own bike. Once you get it it's like riding the bike itself...
yeh it gets to make a grinding sound and starts trying to go over to the outer chain ring and then just goes past it , i'll fiddle with it some more today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.