Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
My rear derailer cable isn't slideing well enough. It'll work well for a day after wiping it down a putting fresh White Lightning on it, but then it'll start dragging, making upshifts and downshifts slow or nonexistant. From searching I see that drilling out the cable-stops and replacing with a teflon housing will help. But, I'm curious if one of those aftermarket doodads might help.

I forgot the names, but one is a short section of surgical tubing with a set screw, that sits on the stop of the rear derailer, adding tension and helping to keep the cable clean. The other is a pulley that attaches at the derailer to help ease the cable around that last tight bend.

So these things help, or should I just save my money and replace the entire run with single section of teflon housing?

Thanks a bunch, Brian.

·
Harky
159 Posts
No White Lightning!!!

It's a wax based lube made for chains. It will gum up your cables!
Cables usually don't require lube at all if the core is in good shape. Clean out the WL!!
Depending how old the bike is (how much riding time) you may want to replace teh cable housings as they do wear out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, that makes perfect sence then. It'll start out nice, but shifting goes down hill pretty quick after that. Gumming up I guess.
I'd don't usually do bone-head stuff, but after seeing a "bike mechanic" use it on my cables a couple years ago I thought WL was fine. :eekster:

Thanks for the heads-up!
B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.