Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my solution to not enough gears/"I hate shifting." It's a roller in place of the derailleur guide pulley, and removal of the inner cage plate. The bottom pulley is then spaced in the middle of the roller, with a loop around the chain to keep it from falling off. What it means is that I can "manually" choose between 2 rear cogs and 2 chainrings, which means 4 gears. So I have:
32T and 24T chainrings; 14T and 17T cogs, which allows the following gear combos:
32/14 (2.3) - for pavement
32/17 (1.9)
24/14 (1.7)
24/17 (1.4)
I call it the der-ingle speed (becuse of the derailleur)
Stupid? maybe....
But it’s what happens when you run out of money (The bike was free, too – dumpster special with donated parts!)

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
coachjon said:
Though not a true SS it is very clever!

Best of both worlds really. Good work.
I'll admit to that! Burn me as a heretic!

But having no bikes with shifters has got to be worth something....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
662 Posts
That's great!!!!! A big gear to pedal on the road to the trails and then one for the dirt! Well done, mate! And on a nice KHS dumpster frame... she's a beauty! That fork looks like a 29er fork in the pic! Perhaps you could make it into a 69er too!!!!! :cornut: And then you could ... that is some nice work!

S

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
i see no cable and shifter, so i guess you have to bail and use a screwdriver to change gears?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fishcreek said:
i see no cable and shifter, so i guess you have to bail and use a screwdriver to change gears?
No, I use my fingers. Pick up the chain and put it on the ring/cog you want. It's really quite simple.

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
very nice. but its kind of hard to imagine how it works, i mean you have to have both your pulley straight so it wont skip back to the other cog. unless the bottom pulley is free and follows the chain? pardon me, my mind is perplexed.

·
Registered
386 Posts
DUDE THATS BRILLIANT!! Now all you need to do do is come up with some kind of lever actuated mechanism attached to a cable that could make the chain move from chainring to chainring and cog to cog while your still pedaling and you'd be in the pink! It might take a while but you might be able to find a market for your lever actuated mechanism and start selling them you could make a fortune! Hey I know call them shifters. I know it sounds a little sci fi futuristic but give it a shot we here on planet SS are behind you 100% You might get some marketing support from the DRIVETRAIN FORUM, just a thought

·
HTFU and Ride
1,216 Posts
ridindog said:
DUDE THATS BRILLIANT!! Now all you need to do do is come up with some kind of lever actuated mechanism attached to a cable that could make the chain move from chainring to chainring and cog to cog while your still pedaling and you'd be in the pink! It might take a while but you might be able to find a market for your lever actuated mechanism and start selling them you could make a fortune! Hey I know call them shifters. I know it sounds a little sci fi futuristic but give it a shot we here on planet SS are behind you 100% You might get some marketing support from the DRIVETRAIN FORUM, just a thought
LOL!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, that's a narrow view of the world, isn't it? Either fully geared or single speed.... Pretty black-and-white if you ask me....

·
Welcome to the Gem...
811 Posts
ridindog said:
you should get some sort of award for that.

post of the month!!!

·
Welcome to the Gem...
811 Posts
clever... yes. but only if it was 50 years ago, or whenever it was that people were developing gear changing mechanisms...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fishcreek said:
very nice. but its kind of hard to imagine how it works, i mean you have to have both your pulley straight so it wont skip back to the other cog. unless the bottom pulley is free and follows the chain? pardon me, my mind is perplexed.
It makes for a not quite perfect chainline. But not so much that the chain wants to jump off the cog to span the 1/4" gap to the other cog. I can do it with my fingers, but that's a lot different than trail bumps. And as for the bottom pulley - it's not directly below either cog; it's right in the middle. Chainlines are not so important with a rear derailleur as with a single speed. Check out most geared chainlines - they suck! It actually works great. You can rip on it if you want - it IS fairly unconventional. But don't expect me to rip on your bike. I frankly don't give a F.

·
Registered
386 Posts
evil plug said:
The guy talking smack is pretty gay, if you ask me that is pretty god damn clever. Let us know how it works in the long run
Yeth I'm totally gay what wath I thinking this is the one speed at a time forum not the thingle thpeed forum!
Oh my god!! your tho therious you manley man you!:ciappa:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mallanaga said:
you should get some sort of award for that.

post of the month!!!
Why thank you sir, I try to make people laugh other than when they see me trying to climb a steep hill on my single speed some people take me alittle to seriously though:eekster:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts