Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in my late 40s, and have been happy on my 2000 Rocky Mountain Element for way too many years. My bike whisperer finally came out and told me it is a bit of a safety issue, as I still do some technical trails. I read and read, tried the Specialized Camber, Epic, Giant Tance xO, Scott Spark, and now the Trek Fuel EX8. I put $$ down on the Trek, since I liked the suspension, travel is a good 120mm, and I like shimano drivetrain and SLX brakes. However, it has a little bob just like all the dualies, and I never got to really take any of these bikes on the trail.

i'm having second thoughts, as the Scott had that nice double lockout, the Giant has a dropper seat, etc. My bike whisperer is a Scott dealer. He 'likes' Scott for its good head tube, press fit parts, etc. but their warranty is only 3 years, and I think the $2,600 Trek rode as nice as the $4,000 Scott, as much as I could test it.

Any reassurance? Anyone get a Scott and wish you had a trek? Just kidding.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with the dual lock system on the Scott, but as far as the dropper post goes you can always add a nice one on with the money you're saving by going with the Fuel. I've heard some people have issues with the Giant post - YMMV, but if that's an important part it could make sense to look for a deal on a KS lev or a reverb.

As far as climbing I've heard amazing things about bikes with DW link suspension, but those are generally a fair bit spendier. Ibis, Pivot, and Turner come to mind.

·
Registered
92 Posts
No regrets after getting my Fuel EX 7 (just posted the obligatory first pic, actually). You can lock both the fork and shock on the Fuel, not familiar with Scott so I don't know what the "double lockout" feature is, unless it's like a switch you hit that locks them both at the same time. Not sure how your LBS handles purchases, but mine offers a 30-day return credit towards the purchase of another bike if you aren't happy with the one you just bought. Hopefully your LBS will work with you on that, but something tells me as long as you rode it around the parking lot and got the basic fitting right, you'll be happy.

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
It is hard to know how bikes handle without a demo preferably back to back and on your home trails.
You won't know much until you get it through the tough areas you like to ride.
Last fall Trek ran the Factory Demo for two days at my home trails. The info I got from demoing both days included riding the Fuel 9.8, Remedy, Stache 8 and Superfly 9.8.
The Fuel was a stable, quick, light handling and enjoyable bike that climbed well. But the different bike was the Superfly 9.8 carbon hard tail. It was comfortable over the technical spots because of the new compliance, but it had hard tail trail feel and intuitive steering the Fuel doesn't from new geo. Almost creates a new category. The 9.6 is within your budget with a good spec. Very safe.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've not regretted my Fuel Ex for a minute. Great bike and really good gun to ride on trail.

I've not ridden a Scott dualie, but for me, I can't see it being 1500$, better than the Fuel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I know there are lots of "what should I buy posts" on the forum. I am committed mentally to soft tail, though the superfly looks like a great ride. I'll try to ride one soon!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
the dual lock out is nice on some trails. but not usefull for every trail.
In my opinion the Trek Fuel is probably a better all around Bike than the Scott, from the units I've ridden.
The trek has a better GEO imho, which matters more than some levers on the bar.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I know there are lots of "what should I buy posts" on the forum. I am committed mentally to soft tail, though the superfly looks like a great ride. I'll try to ride one soon!
It is a great ride! Try it out, I am pretty sure you will love it :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
I like my Fuel Ex 9 a lot. The bob is not noticeable at all in the trail position if you set it up right..it pedals great for what it is. I think it is a better deal and a better bike than the Scott, but lots of others disagree. Either way...you need a dropper on a bike like that, but you cam pick the one you want with the Trek.

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
Haverhill on the 13th 100 miles away. 4 hours of demo. Things get better, the carbon frame is a big step forward, based on road bike development in carbon frame compliance.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The Fuel is quite the trailbike. I guess this means they will have a small portion of bob, but this does translate to good small bump compliance for more technical trails - anyhow there's the lockout feature as described.
If you're worried, the superfly 100 is much more efficient.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You could talk to your LBS and see what it would cost to upgrade both the fork and add the remotes, I know the fork is very easy to add the remote. Fox then makes a dual lock lever that can control both, although it's different than the Scott Dual Lock, I have it on my FS 29er, works great.

BTW, the Trek Fuel is a great choice, that bike has earned a very good reputation over the last few years and I really liked the Trek 69er I owned a few years ago, it was a solidly built bike. The Fuel should last you another 10 years :).

·
Registered
599 Posts
Double lockout means it is a bad suspension design.
Dont get the carbon fuel - it is really flexy.
The giant dropper seatpost on my wifes bike has been flawless.
Not sure if my opinion helped but there you go

·
Registered
307 Posts
Here's an "updated review" of my 2014 Fuel EX7:
http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/my-2014-trek-fuel-ex-7-ride-update-review-911197.html

About your "bob" issue, if you tune the bike properly there is none and the bike handles beautifully on the trails. Today I just did a pretty technical and steep single track - bike handled it perfectly. See if you're LBS will do the tubeless conversion for you, since the rims are TB ready - big difference. I was actually on the fence a week ago and almost bought an ibis Ripley frame set. Glad I didn't. I really like my Trek :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Awesome responses, everyone. Great bike community. I'm psyched to get the bike in, maybe I'll make it up to Haverhill and try the Superfly just for fun.
I'm definitely getting the LBS to set it up tubeless from the get-go.

cheers!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Scott.
Well I had the bike out for a first ride this weekend. I am very impressed with the ride of the Scott spark 750 and the twin lock is genius. The bigger wheels over the 26er were noticeably bigger once I hit rough terrain and can easily roll over. The tight sections were fun as the bike is equally nimble as my 26er.

The he schwalbe rocket Ron's are absolutely amazing tire. Tons of grip but shocked ad the knobs are spaced and lower than my wtb velociraptors on my 26er.

the twin lock with Ctd front and rear fox is a weapon that is very useful especially on the climbs. On the downhills with the shock open is a blast. Definitely keeps it fun.

The negative.
I ripped a chain link out 3 miles from the car. I ended up walking 2 miles back and another rider spotted me and had a chain tool.

I picked up a chain tool when I dropped bike off at dealer to replace with shimano xt chain instead of the Kmc 10 chain that is a pos.

for for a rider looking for a mid level 650 bike the Scott bikes either scale or spark are awesome value and group set.

my fs spark 750 6061 aluminum came in at under 29 lbs with pedals and xt and deore components and fox Ctd 120mm front and rear.

The 29er is 100mm suspension and approx half lb heavier.

image.jpg

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
That's a large jump in price, and if you are considering that jump, it opens up a few other choices in between that I think are better than either bike

Santa Cruz Tallboy
Ibis Riply Special Blend
Pivot 429
Devinci Atlas

1 - 20 of 21 Posts