Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Looks like a 1" threaded headset on it. Kinda hurts the alternate fork options if you can only fit a 1" steerer fork. But, hard to tell from the pics and awesome list of specs :)
When I called Mongoose for the info I posted earlier the lady said the headtube was 1 1/8" so any fork should do if you change the stem and go threadless

·
It aint gonna ride itself
585 Posts
My first reaction was to be filled with a profound feeling of meh.

I sort of think though, that things like this that might get people into cycling are generally a positive. I think it'll look pretty rad to the average Wally shopper, so why not? Even though department store bikes suck from a bicycle enthusiast's perspective, there really isn't a whole lot to go wrong with this one, compared to something built on the FS mountain bike model. Who knows, maybe it'll even be fun to ride.

Just a note on the brand, Mongoose is now owned by Pacific Cycle, based right here in little ol' Madison, Wisconsin. They're an importer that also owns the Schwinn, GT, Dyno, Iron Horse and InStep brands, in addition to selling bikes under their own name. Although none of the aforementioned bicycle brands hold their original cachet, I personally think the Pacific bikes suck a lot less than some of the other department store brands. YMMV.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Has anyone got info on the stay designs? Doesn't look like there's any crazy Moonlander-style bends. Fork appears to be symmetrical as well.

It's actually a pretty clean and almost sexy ride!

If it means my kids can have fatbikes to follow daddy on his Moonlander, it's all good in my book. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cruiser bike for sure. I would say after having a neighborhood of kids come to me to repair their bikes (I try and teach them how to fix it on their own). The quality of the $200 bikes has gotten better over the past few years. Anything under a hundred is still pretty bad.

15 year old son has 3 good mountain bikes to ride but won't stay off my pug. I should buy this one for him to save the wear and tear on my pug.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The political portion was removed

Wow
I know lots of folks don't like Wal-Mart
but this is fascinating.

PLEASE, READ THIS TO THE END. IT IS VERY INTERESTING!!!

Wal-Mart vs. The Morons

1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at WalMart Every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St.
Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger
+ Target +Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people, is the world's largest private employer, and most speak English.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the world.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger and Safeway
combined, and keep in mind they did this in only fifteen years.

8. During this same period, 31 big supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA
of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000
more than it had five years ago.

11. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at Wal-Mart stores. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 Billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within fifteen miles of a Wal-Mart.

·
Banned
2,033 Posts
awesome, screw surly and salsa, I bet walmart has those big tires for $30 and they are going to be the best thing ever.

Wow 46lbs. That'll be fun getting in the back of your pickup truck. These'll go over like all the other poorly conceived ideas that Walmart has sold in their bike lines, from the higher end carbon bikes to the crap 26er FS bikes. Operative word: crap.
Remember that epic thread in General Discussion about Big Box bikes ?

Well ... Walmart moves a lot of bikes, and they get bought by people who can't/won't spend thousands of dollars for something that has pedals.

The operative word "crap" means nothing to the happy owner of a bike ;)

·
will rant for food
3,963 Posts
Best thing to happen for the homeless/DUI population of Anchorage in a long time.
Good point. Unfortunately, in my time spent helping a homeless guy with his bike in the last two years, I've learned that a common thing among them is steal each other's bikes, any bike really, and not maintain their own because it's just going to get stolen.

I'm not sure why I continue. Pity I guess. The snowy months here are a break from working on bikes I know are going to get stolen, and have probably *been* stolen.

·
will rant for food
3,963 Posts
Also, my cheapskate dad might be interested in these. Hunting purposes.

That said, f*ck Walmart. One got built in my wife's home town, and f*cked things up there (anecdotally).

·
Registered
55 Posts
The political portion was removed

Wow
I know lots of folks don't like Wal-Mart
but this is fascinating.

PLEASE, READ THIS TO THE END. IT IS VERY INTERESTING!!!

Wal-Mart vs. The Morons

1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at WalMart Every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St.
Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger
+ Target +Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people, is the world's largest private employer, and most speak English.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the world.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger and Safeway
combined, and keep in mind they did this in only fifteen years.

8. During this same period, 31 big supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA
of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000
more than it had five years ago.

11. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at Wal-Mart stores. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 Billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within fifteen miles of a Wal-Mart.

You may think that I am complaining, but I am
really laying the ground work for suggesting
that MAYBE we should hire the guys who run
Wal-Mart to fix the economy.
The other side of the coin:

•Walmart’s intentionally low wages force employees to need approximately $420,000 per year, per store, totalling $2.66 BILLION annually in food stamps and other taxpayer assistance…to survive.
•Walmart’s intentionally low wages cost the country HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars in payroll tax deductions for Federal, State, and Local taxes.
•Walmart’s intentionally low wages and lack of covered benefits cost taxpayers over $1.02 BILLION a year in healthcare costs.
•Walmart’s intentionally low wages cost taxpayers as much as $225 MILLION in free and reduced price lunches for school-age children.
•Walmart’s intentionally low wages cost taxpayers over $780 MILLION in tax deductions for low-income families

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
All in all, I have to say that I think in general terms this is a good thing. My thoughts are thus- folks will pick these things up, ride them for a bit and then realize they don't want/need them and sell em off cheap. Take the hoops, add some decent hubs and some drillium and I've got a set of cheap-o wheels to bash around on and if I destroy it - no biggie.

One the other hand, it kinda sucks that it takes Wally world to drive a huge reduction in price in the segment. Though maybe that will drive some other prices down, mostly in tires.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Here we go..bashing Wal-Mart again in a perfectly good thread. We all know how Wal-Mart operates. Don't like it. Don't shop there.

LOL. I could actually order one to my store and get it within 5 days. Not a single speed fan as there are too many hills, but if you lived in an area with decent paths it would make for a good cruiser bike. Anything else and you're pushing the limits of the bike.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
After my initial dismissal of this due to its cruiser bike geometry, I'm sort of thinking about getting one and making it a permanent accessory for my in-laws' motor coach.

Every year at the beach I'm yearning for a bike but at the same time telling myself I would not be a happy camper subjecting any of my bikes to a week near sand and saltwater.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly; it's too bad politics, negativity and personal grudges seem to derail so many threads. If you don't like the company - don't shop there; if you don't like the laws - work to change them; if you don't like the country - move.

Here we go..bashing Wal-Mart again in a perfectly good thread. We all know how Wal-Mart operates. Don't like it. Don't shop there.

LOL. I could actually order one to my store and get it within 5 days. Not a single speed fan as there are too many hills, but if you lived in an area with decent paths it would make for a good cruiser bike. Anything else and you're pushing the limits of the bike.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Keep in mind that the shipping weight is 46 lbs. I ordered a steel kona frame and shipping weight was listed at 20lbs. This Beast is probably a svelte 38 lbs when un-boxed. Ready to race!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
To be fair, I think anybody honestly suggesting that Wal-Mart be put in charge of the entire US economy needs to be called out. Otherwise, I agree with the don't shop there mantra.

41 - 60 of 311 Posts