Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Well, it was only a matter of time really. Still a 46lb beast with one gear. I hope it's all downhill, bro;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it was only a matter of time really. Still a 46lb beast with one gear. I hope it's all downhill, bro;)
Yea I know, If I did decide to throw away 200 bucks on it, it would be in pieces before the first ride. I'd be modifying the frame to add gears or merging with another 26" frame I've been trying to figure out how to widen. i like to tinker. If I wait 6 months I'll find one on CL for about 50 bucks. I can tear that up no problem.

·
Administrator
10,817 Posts
awesome, screw surly and salsa, I bet walmart has those big tires for $30 and they are going to be the best thing ever.

Wow 46lbs. That'll be fun getting in the back of your pickup truck. These'll go over like all the other poorly conceived ideas that Walmart has sold in their bike lines, from the higher end carbon bikes to the crap 26er FS bikes. Operative word: crap.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The spider tire is what used to come on the TommiSea bikes and actually works pretty well as a rear tire...climbs like crazy...not so hot as a front tire...I think retail on them is $60, so that bike is conceivably worth buying just for its rubber and hoops...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could change out the hubs, addin a internal geared rear and disc brakes. You'd have to buy the aftermarket hangers for em. It's an all aluminum frame so it might not be a bad thing to build on. And anything you do you could always xfer to a better frame later.

·
Registered
887 Posts
My reaction is much more mild than I would have expected. I could even see myself considering one for beater, townie duty. I wonder if any of it would last long enough to be worth it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Personally I dont have anything against department store bikes. If thats all someone can afford as long as thier riding I dont care. Honestly the one 29er that wally has for 379 comes with all SRAM x-4 comps. If you can't afford a 700 buck hardtail with x6 or 7 its actually a good deal.. Just get it in the box and assemble yourself.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
will it handle a 3' drop?
Keep the reciept. I'd pay good money to see someone carry it in pieces in a bag back into the store for a refund. The look on the Customer Service persons face would be priceless.

·
1,711 Posts
You should value your body more than to trust riding something that was put together by a Walmart employee and made with cheap parts and metals.

·
Registered
480 Posts
that bit is a cheap build kit for a salsa muk or pugs frameset..

what hub are used on the walmart bike? does it work with one of the high-end fat frames?

1 - 20 of 311 Posts