Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
slx is double price of deore,but i can get it 25% cheaper.is the difference worth it, is it just eyecandy(yeah middle ring has composite blah blah, regular steel middle works good, maybe not as durable).also on shimano site i saw for slx and xt that they have forged crankarms, for deore that space is blank so probably deore has regular aluminium, bb seems to be the same on all three models..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,097 Posts
I don't know too much about the SLX, but I have a couple of friends who run the DEORE and so far so good. We ride in wet, muddy conditions and the steel small and middle rings of the DEORE are a real plus.

I ride an older XTR and I am thinking of going DEORE next - good price.
 

·
Former Bike Wrench
Joined
·
15,976 Posts
It kind of depends on which Deore crankset your comparing against (there are several). But generally, the arms on the Deore are "melt forged" which is weaker (so more material needed) than cold forged but much stronger and lighter than "cast" arms on low end cranksets.

You can get last years LX xrankset which would fall in between the two quality level for $99 at Jenson USA...that would be my choice
 

·
Never trust a fart
Joined
·
4,543 Posts
You have to be careful when selecting the Deore cranksets. The 2010 models are hollowtech II - using external BB. The previous years Deore used Octalink.

SLX replaced LX as the official MTB group for Shimano. LX was designated for Trekking/Touring in the OEM. Reason for not showing up on Shimano's website.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
2009 Deore was outboard as well. Shimano often does some overlap with older models still used by OEMs, such as the older Octalink version

I believe one of the biggest differences is that the Deore does not have the much lighter hollow crank arms found on SLX and above. They are solid aluminum but with a large relief area on the inside of the arms to lose some weight. There were actually some versions of the Deore in 2009 that had one hollow arm (drive side) but these showed up mostly on OEM stuff
 

·
the catalan connection
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
boomn said:
2009 Deore was outboard as well. Shimano often does some overlap with older models still used by OEMs, such as the older Octalink version

I believe one of the biggest differences is that the Deore does not have the much lighter hollow crank arms found on SLX and above. They are solid aluminum but with a large relief area on the inside of the arms to lose some weight. There were actually some versions of the Deore in 2009 that had one hollow arm (drive side) but these showed up mostly on OEM stuff
I agree. Deores heve been hollow-armed for years already.I don´t get why Shinano has droped these. I used to have a Deore crankset like the one in the pic that was virtually identical to the XT and LX exceprt for the chainrings.I wouldn´t want them unless price drop is really big.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
If you can get a good deal on SLX then go for it. I got mine last winter from CRC for $102 shipped when the dollar was stronger. Great looking, strong and relatively light. Guys here spend $60 on a tire but won't spend the same on a better crank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
robc in wi said:
Guys here spend $60 on a tire but won't spend the same on a better crank.
to be fair tire selection makes a far, far bigger difference in performance than 1/4lb of crank weight and some extra stiffness that most will never be able to feel
 

·
Official ***** Idiot
Joined
·
333 Posts
boomn said:
to be fair tire selection makes a far, far bigger difference in performance than 1/4lb of crank weight and some extra stiffness that most will never be able to feel
Right. I got an LX crankset years ago (still ride it, too) and just bought XT chainrings when the LX's wore out. Still saved money. Now, a cheap tire that can't hold you to the trail worth a darn.......different story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
OK maybe the $60 tire is a bad example but guys will spend significant $$$ to save grams or for style points. All of my stuff is pretty much middle of the road pricewise, my budget and type of riding dictates it.
 

·
Official ***** Idiot
Joined
·
333 Posts
robc in wi said:
OK maybe the $60 tire is a bad example but guys will spend significant $$$ to save grams or for style points. All of my stuff is pretty much middle of the road pricewise, my budget and type of riding dictates it.
I can agree with that. I don't have CK headsets or hubs, I don't have a custom frame, I ride heavy disk brakes. I do try to shave weight, though, and if a part costs more, but has a reliable savings for me, I'll go for it. All those extra grams for cheaper parts do add up in a hurry, a few pounds can feel like a few hundred during a long ride. I'll give on the XC racer guys going as light as possible, if they actually do race frequently, that extra weight could cost them a place. I think it's silly that weekend warriors buy carbon everything, ti bolts, superlight wheelsets just for the sake of buying it, but it's their money. I spend a small fortune on computers, myself. A lot more than the average guy. What the heck, it makes me happy.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top