Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my rear derailer shifter doesn't click when up-shifting. When I down-shift it clicks like it always has. Recently when I up-shift I get no click, it will shift but only one gear at a time by pushing it all the way in. This makes it really annoying when trying to shift quickly for climbs and what not. So I am assuming that this is a shifter problem but could it also be a rear derailer issue?

I have checked the cable and had it tuned by my buddy who works at the LBS recently. This issue happened long before I had it tuned and I am pretty sure that there isn't any issues with clogged lines or anything like that.

Do I need a new shifter pod?

·
Registered
187 Posts
No, You just need to go over each piece of the affected drivetrain and clean and lube it. I prefer Tri-flo as a lubricant. Double check your shifters and open them up. Clean out the old lube and put some axle grease or Phil Wood bearing grease in it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
At the shop, we use a penetrating lube called "Lube Job" on gummed up shifters. What is happening is that the shift pawls are bogged down by old, stiff grease and are not free to catch the tooth on the ratcheting mechanism inside the shifter. I know Shimano shifters come with a grease inside, but I am still running a "revived" deore shifter on my commuter bike that I fixed 2 years ago without any problems. Just remove the philips head cable plug (facing the outside of your handlebars, behind the index finger lever), spray into the hole and wait as long as necessary. It helps to fiddle with the shift levers and if it's bad enough, you may need to take it apart. You may try some other penetrating lube. Good luck!
-Chris

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
I would advise not to open them up , there are springs and tiny parts inside that tend to blow apart when you open the case, just squirt some lube in the cable port

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CRogge said:
At the shop, we use a penetrating lube called "Lube Job" on gummed up shifters. What is happening is that the shift pawls are bogged down by old, stiff grease and are not free to catch the tooth on the ratcheting mechanism inside the shifter.
So since I started working on my bikes I have been using Anti-seze. This is the same stuff used on automative brakes and what not. It has the same makup as most bike lubes but is a lot cheaper at vatozone. Its your basic non-drying and non-tacky grease. However I will inspect the grease in the shifter to see what it is made up of. I am assuming that its a bit more dense than chain lube.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.