Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me out on my rear derailleur with a few suggestions on how to get it to move faster? It seems when I wanna shift from the 2nd chainring to the 3rd, it's sluggish in the back. I already got the front worked on at the bike shop. This only starts happening after I've ridden for about 20 minutes.

Anyways, in a nutshell, the derailleur's a little muddy, so I'll wipe it down. I hope to get some suggestions soon.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Get the mech off, clean it properly (check the maintenance link in my signature) and try again. My suspicion is that you have a cable or shifter issue, but ensuring that the mech is working properly will at least eliminate it from the equation. Your gears are in four parts; shifter (brain), cable outers, cable inners and derailleur. A process of elimination will sort you out every time...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was so excited about the bike when I got it a few days ago that I went out riding after a day of rain. Very wet, very muddy. Grease acted like a magnet. I'll run out to my workshop and get some cleaner for the chain and possibly take it off and soak it overnight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
if the bike is new, or if it has new cables the cables have strechted, not a big deal. all you need to do is increase cable tension, most likely. if you take it to the bike shop you bought if from they should do it for free and if they are a good bike shop they will show you what they are doing. most likely it will take like 5 seconds. it could be a couple other issues though, perhaps the cable isnt slidding well enough in the housing in that case you just need to lube inside the housing. again have your bike shop show you how to do this since you are going there anyways, should be free and take a few secs. if they do charge it would prob be less than 5bucks. good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure if it's the cable tension, but they'll definitely do it for free. I got them to tune my shock pressure three times till I liked it, and they gave me a free water bottle and holder :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
hey izmo
I use a deore derailleur and figured I would share this little tip with you. Buy a Sram rollamajig it will make the angle that the cable enters the derailleur a little bit straighter so it shifts better. I found that the deore was really crappy in the mud and wet (even when brand new) the rollamajig seems to help. Also it will make your shifting just a little bit smoother and more sure while under pressure. It will feel closer to xt than without one. In canada they cost around 15 dollars but are worth the money.

Now on to your problem. Is problem difficult shifting in one direction(dirty cables) or in both directions. If it is in both directions and only between those two gears, get the shop to check your derailleur hanger as you may have bent it in a crash etc. There is a very small chance of that being the case since you bike is new. what follows is long but it describes how to fix your most likely culprit, so you can take your bike to the Shop or do it yourself.

Most likely culprit is cable tension and it only takes a second to tell. Just lift the back of you bike (bike stand, tie it up with string whatever) now look at the upper most pulley of the derailleur from behind your bike with the bike straight up, shift it up and down a few time to see what it looks like. that pulley should be directly below the rings of your cassette if it is not you have a problem with cable tension(remember that cable tension is another way of saying adjustment problem). If the pulley is perfect for some of the cogs on the cassette say above the problem area and then off for the rest(or the opposite) this would be a bent hanger(pretty unlikely). If the pulley is perfectly under the the bottom cog but all the others seems to be off just a little bit this is from the cables stretching during you ride and only takes a second to fix. Just find the barrel adjuster and turn it both way to see what it does when you turn it. Now keep that in you head for a second cause we are now going to adjust the derailleur, shift to the bottom cog and then to the next one up, is the pulley lined up? From your described problem it is probably just a little bit off towards the bottom cog. So turn the barrel adjust to make it move under the second cog, now make sure it lines up perfectly and shift all the way up and down, does it still stick in between a couple of the gears? most likely you moved the barrel adjust too much so go back and do it again. You don't want to move the adjuster when your on different cogs it will look right for that one but mess everything else up(it will be tempting to do this but don't, trust me). Se keep moving that barrel adjuster till you get it right, try little changes like one click(doesn't actually click but you'll get the idea). After you move the adjuster run it through the gears and see what it does go back and make little adjustments again. When it shifts seamlessly through the gears with no weight on the pedals take it out for a spin, still good? your done, if not repeat.

Just remember little changes make big differences.
Hopefully this will make sense to you, it makes sense to me but I already know how to do it. So if I confused you, go to your local book store and get a book on bike maintenance or if it is too expensive peruse the section on adjusting deraileurs. Shop mechanics will sometimes show you how but make nice with them first, maybe bribe him with coffee or beer

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
Tip..

Izmo said:
I'm not sure if it's the cable tension, but they'll definitely do it for free. I got them to tune my shock pressure three times till I liked it, and they gave me a free water bottle and holder :D
run full housing from the last stop on your top tube back to the RD.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Not trying to piggyback onto your forum... But I was riding today and well.. hit a jump way to fast careened into a hill and now the rear der is eating spoke in the top 2-3 gears... I think the hanger is bent? Is there any way to bend it back or do I just get a new one? (this is the 3rd ride out on the new 7point...)

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
motomonkey - If the derailleur is hiting the spokes in 3rd gear it would seem you took a fairly decent hit.

It's not hard to bend the lower pulley arm on a derailleur as they're pretty light while bending a derailleur hangar takes some goodly effort.

A picture taken from the rear of the bike would really help but if the derailleur is bent it isn't too difficult to straighten so that it runs parallel to the spokes and not into them... a bent hangar needs to be removed for straightening or replacement.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
yep thats bent, but from the pics. I think its your deraillier not the hanger or at least mostly the deraillier and maybe a little hangar. your lbs should have the park tool for straightening hangers, it takes about 5 mins to do it. you can buy the tool for $40

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
motormonkeyr6 said:
I think it is also the derailleur. So how do I go about bending it back? I dont want to break it... I need to keep it in running order for a few more months.... :|
Im not sure you can, I would either ask the lbs or remove it and clamp the bolt end and grab the cage and bend it. if you try to bend it on the bike I think you will just damage the hanger

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
motormonkeyr6 said:
Theres kinda problem... My local bike shops consist of a roadbike shop and a roadbike shop... lol
It looks like the body of the derailleur is bent, not just the lower pulley arm. If that's the case, replace it.

A "roadbike shop" shouldn't have any problem with a MTB derailleur.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
now thats a problem
why wouldnt they charge you? if you mean to look and tell you yes or no on repair, then no charge. But if you want them to bend it or try and fix it they should charge you. Hard to tell for sure by the pics but I would prob. just buy a new one and get it over with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.