Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Joined
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running the 5 piston Deore brakes (MT501 levers and MT520 pistons) that came on my trance X 29.
The issue I'm trying to fix is that the reach/ bite point adjustment on the right lever (rear brake) keeps adjusting itself so the lever is closer to the grips. It has to be adjusted to bring the lever out from the bars after every second ride or roughly every 20 miles.

It is not the wandering bite point issue that seems common with Shimano brakes.

The bite point does not change with multiple pulls of the lever.
The lever is firm and does not pump up after descents.
Because of this I don't think it is air in the system.

It seems like the adjustment screw is moving. I'm going to witness mark the screw this morning before a 10 mile ride.

Is there any way to apply blue loctite to the screw to keep it from adjusting itself?

Has anyone dealt with this issue?

Thanks in advance.
 

MCMXCV
Joined
1,437 Posts
I'm running the 5 piston Deore brakes (MT501 levers and MT520 pistons) that came on my trance X 29.
The issue I'm trying to fix is that the reach/ bite point adjustment on the right lever (rear brake) keeps adjusting itself so the lever is closer to the grips. It has to be adjusted to bring the lever out from the bars after every second ride or roughly every 20 miles.

It is not the wandering bite point issue that seems common with Shimano brakes.

The bite point does not change with multiple pulls of the lever.
The lever is firm and does not pump up after descents.
Because of this I don't think it is air in the system.

It seems like the adjustment screw is moving. I'm going to witness mark the screw this morning before a 10 mile ride.

Is there any way to apply blue loctite to the screw to keep it from adjusting itself?

Has anyone dealt with this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Yep, I had the exact same issue on my right (front for me) lever. I unwound the reach all of the way out and then I dropped some blue liquid loctite onto the threads of the adjuster bolt. Then I ran the reach all the way in to make sure I had 100% coverage on the threads and finally set it to where I wanted it and wiped up the excess and let it cure.

No problems with it moving since then, but now it's hard to turn the adjuster! 馃榾
 

Registered
Joined
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I had the exact same issue on my right (front for me) lever. I unwound the reach all of the way out and then I dropped some blue liquid loctite onto the threads of the adjuster bolt. Then I ran the reach all the way out to make sure I had 100% coverage on the threads and finally set it to where I wanted it and wiped up the excess and let it cure.

No problems with it moving since then, but now it's hard to turn the adjuster! 馃榾
That's kinda what I was planning. If the adjuster stayed put I don't care if it's hard to move. I've got a bunch of different loctite around so I'll give that a shot.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top