Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup is Deore hydros (either 515 or 525) with 8" Hope Gothic rotors. I'm having issues with modulation, alignment, and the 8" rotors are just overkill for what I ride (I'm 160 lbs).

I'm planning to change these out to BB7s (160 mm rotors) with Avid SD 7 levers.

I was told that mech discs are lighter. How much of a weight savings should I expect, just a couple ounces, or substantially more?

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Mechs are typically heavier.

No MSG said:
My current setup is Deore hydros (either 515 or 525) with 8" Hope Gothic rotors. I'm having issues with modulation, alignment, and the 8" rotors are just overkill for what I ride (I'm 160 lbs).

I'm planning to change these out to BB7s (160 mm rotors) with Avid SD 7 levers.

I was told that mech discs are lighter. How much of a weight savings should I expect, just a couple ounces, or substantially more?
for mech brakes, the published weights are usually the brake minus the cables and levers. Hydro brakes are typically published as a complete system including levers.

I went from Avid Mechs to Magura hydros and lost 2/3 of a pound.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
As pimpbot said.. in general hydros are lighter... it is possible to put together a light mech setup with really light and expensive levers and cables... but if weight is your concern I recommend you stick with hydros.... maybe just switch your rotors..the Deores are not super light, but are usually pretty reliable

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.