Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a used set of Deore hydro brakes(555) they came with Xt levers and XT rotors.
So far they work as good as everyone say they do.

My front lever feels a little spongy at first then it firms up, do I have air in the lines?

I was ajusting the lever reach and I noticed after I ajusted the lever in then moved it back out, I had to reset the caliper pistons. After I did that I was back to a firm lever.

I also want to shorten up the rear line, can you reuse the fitting at the lever?

Where can I find a syringe (other than a bike shop) to bleed the brakes?
The tubing at the end of the syringe I could probally get at a hardware store.

One of my bleed caps are missing is there something else I could use to keep the dirt out?

I also couldn't get the inside brake pad to stop rubbing, so I pushed that piston in farther that the outside and it seemed to work. In other words the outside piston comes out more (than the inside) when the brakes are applied and after they retract there is almost no rubbing. Is this ok? I didn't want to shim it any more, I think the caliper would have started rubbing the rotor.

Any other tricks or tips on set or (anything else, brake pads ect.) up of these brakes would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
spacoli said:
Just bought a used set of Deore hydro brakes(555) they came with Xt levers and XT rotors.
So far they work as good as everyone say they do.

My front lever feels a little spongy at first then it firms up, do I have air in the lines?

I was ajusting the lever reach and I noticed after I ajusted the lever in then moved it back out, I had to reset the caliper pistons. After I did that I was back to a firm lever.

I also want to shorten up the rear line, can you reuse the fitting at the lever?

Where can I find a syringe (other than a bike shop) to bleed the brakes?
The tubing at the end of the syringe I could probally get at a hardware store.

One of my bleed caps are missing is there something else I could use to keep the dirt out?

I also couldn't get the inside brake pad to stop rubbing, so I pushed that piston in farther that the outside and it seemed to work. In other words the outside piston comes out more (than the inside) when the brakes are applied and after they retract there is almost no rubbing. Is this ok? I didn't want to shim it any more, I think the caliper would have started rubbing the rotor.

Any other tricks or tips on set or (anything else, brake pads ect.) up of these brakes would be great.

Thanks
Air in the lines? Sounds like it. Happened to mine once after the banjo nut loosened up on a ride. If it's just a little, then firms back up and stays that way, then no worries. If it starts getting spongy while you're riding, then it's a problem. Probably just needs burped. Make sure the lever is sitting level, then remove the top cover & diaphragm and slowly work the lever. May want to have a friend tap on the caliper or lines. The air will eventually bubble up through the line. You may need to add a little fluid. Be patient, it may take 5 mins or more to get all the air out.

I have to re-set the calipers occaisionally on mine, too. I think that is fairly common with the Deore's. Other than that, I'd have to say they've been worth every penny and then some.

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can anyone else help answer any of these questions

I can't beleive all of you brake experts out there, I thought I would have a few more responses. It might have been my own fault for asking too many questions on one post.
Maybe everybody is just to busy out riding like I should be.

So if any one has any input on any one of these questions, please do so. Just pick one, even if its a simple answer it might help.

I did get a shimano bleed kit, should I follow shimano bleeding instuctions or is there another way bleed the brakes? I have seen other manufactures push the fluid from the caliper to the lever, shimano says to pull the lever to push the fluid to the caliper and to keep refilling the reservior.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts