Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
I am looking for some new rotors for a new wheelset. I was reading all the forums and the hope floating look sweet... They also seem to be well engineered (2 piece design probably allows outer piece to heat evenly, then expand/contract back to original position - denying an expansion/non-expansion zone area where warp may occur.). That was just a guess I could be off the mark.

Anyhow, anyone know it the Deore Hydraulic works ok with the hope floating discs? Also, Should I go for 160 or 185mm?? I am 170 lbs and all-mountain rider who is somewhat aggresive I suppose? :cool:

Pete.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
pbrosz said:
Hey!
I am looking for some new rotors for a new wheelset. I was reading all the forums and the hope floating look sweet... They also seem to be well engineered (2 piece design probably allows outer piece to heat evenly, then expand/contract back to original position - denying an expansion/non-expansion zone area where warp may occur.). That was just a guess I could be off the mark.

Anyhow, anyone know it the Deore Hydraulic works ok with the hope floating discs? Also, Should I go for 160 or 185mm?? I am 170 lbs and all-mountain rider who is somewhat aggresive I suppose? :cool:

Pete.
Not a good idea. Shimano rotors are thinner than Hopes. That coupled with Shimano's already tight disc to pad clearance would make for a troublesome combo.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Rivet said:
Not a good idea. Shimano rotors are thinner than Hopes. That coupled with Shimano's already tight disc to pad clearance would make for a troublesome combo.
Maybe not that bad, either. I have Shimano XT calipers on Hayes rotors. The Hayes are wider than Shimano's, but they work fine.

You have to make sure that the rotor surface is wider than the pad area.

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Check out the Brake Time forum Pete.

There are many riders running Shimano callipers with Hope rotors (XTR callipers and Hope rotors are popular), although some combinations aren't quite so successful due to the rotor hitting callipers / mounts. Have a read up over there and you'll soon work out what will work. ;)

Dave.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone!

Seems to me a slightly thicker rotor is better because it will have a higher total heat capacity. Someone needs to create a chart of brake/rotor compatibility!! :rolleyes:

I think a manufacturers group would be capable of doing that? Anyone know if there is a mountain bike manufacturers association? For example, electrical equipment has NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Association).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.