Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi everyone, I'm a bit of a newbie at this! im an old guy new to mountain biking. Tried changing brake pads on my rear wheel on my giant. Like a fool depressed brake lever when pads where removed and lost fluid. Pads in place but closed so tight there is no gap for disc and brake not working. Pushed pistons back as far as possible but still no room for the disc. Guess I need to replace fluid but will this open up the pads for me to get wheel back on?

Thanks for any advice

sean

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
How did you lose fluid? Did you unscrew one of the bleed port screws? If the pistons are sticking out too far, get a flat screw driver or the flat end of a cone wrench or something equally flat and carefully, gently push them back into place to reset them. If they don't go back far enough, you might be over-filled and you'll have to unscrew the brake lever port screw to push them back in far enough. Some fluid will bleed out but that's okay.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Brake should need fluid / bleed if the piston popped out. My first guess would be the piston o-rings are not square in the caliper bore. If you are convinced the fluid is holding the pistons extracted loosen the caliper bleed screw when trying to retract pistons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding. I’ll have a look at that. What happened was that I had removed the pads and was struggling to get the new ones in, I thought in my wisdom (stupidly) that if I squeeze the brake lever the space for the pads may reset but the piston moved and fluid started to run out. I pushed the piston back, got the pads in but the gap between the pads is too small for the disc but will try your recommendation. Thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, many thanks for replying. It’s much appreciated. Will try your suggestions in the next couple of days when I have some free time. Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.