Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a full suspension bike (mid-range) and i want to change my front disc (i can have disc only front - i have rear v-brake). Currently i have a Diatech twin cam (mechanical) but it's not very good so i'd like to give me your advice on witch should i buy (hydraylic disc: -deore 525 or deore XT, or very good v-brakes). I don't want to spend a fortune (XT's really expensive) and i go mostly freeride and downhill. For Deore XT i mean the '03 model (the new doesn;t fit on my front suspension).

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
umm. i didn't post the prices. I live in Greece. the Deore 525 is around 100$ and the Deore XT around 250$. I would like something that is much better than the best v-brakes. Also, considering the fact that i have a mid-range bike (full suspension front SRSUNTOUR DC80, rear RST22, gear system:sram 7.0 with sram 9.0 rear deraileur), is a buy of a Deore XT "logical". I mean, if Deore 525 can handle it quite good, without getting too hot on hard downhills...

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
yeah, they are 4-pot. You mean they are much better than 525's? I don;t know how large can be the disc (for example, can i install 180 or 203mm disc?). The one i have is the standard 160mm. The front suspension i have is a Sr Suntour DC-80
it's a bit like this on the picture (i mean it has a standard 2 -screw mount)
Also, what about XTR v-brakes? (i will have to change rims to something better probably if i buy these) I mean, are they better than hydraylic deore xt '03?

mtnkiwi said:
Go for the XT hydraulics, excellent brakes for xc and dh. I reckon they are worth the extra dollars (the 2003 are the 4pot brakes right? I have them and love them).

Attachments

· Administrator
12,492 Posts
xtr v-brakes are really good brakes, they work well in dry conditions. The real crux is when conditions become wet. Vbrakes will not work as good, even if you have a real good rim. They are on the other hand, much lighter and easier to maintain.

The deore discs are a good set that utilize the same caliper design as the hayyes mags. You will probably not want to use a rotor larger than 160mm on the Suntour fork, as larger rotors can cause failure in forks not designed for it. If Suntour gives you the O.K. to run a larger rotor go for it.

The performance levels will not be substantially different between the deore and the XTs, unless you are hefty, your bike is hefty and runs very heavy wheels, or you ride in wet downhill conditions exclusively. All other situations you will find the deores more than adequate.

The same goes for Vbrakes. LX, XT, and XTR level vbrakes all are real good, the XTRs of course are better materials and lighter and more durable, but unless as with the disc you ride wet, long downhills, where you continuously brake for the duration or you need absolute stop on the spot power then they will more than suffice too.

good luck

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
new fork that can support 8" (203mm) disc?

I've e-mailed Suntour for the suspension but i think it doesn;t take more than 6" (160mm) disc. The fork i have is a sr suntour dc80 (1999) triple clamp and i don't know what new fork i can buy (around 120mm travel) that can support 203mm disc and is compatible with my frame. What do you think?

· Administrator
12,492 Posts
generally any fork with a 20mm axle (eg: marzzochi z1 qr20, Rockshokk Psylo tullio, or manittou sherman) or any fork with a qr that the manufacturer says it is OK (possibily manittou black or rockshokk psylo(?)). Check with the manufacterers prior to buying, usually the fork manuals, available online, will give the rotor size applicable for the fork. I know for sure that all Foxx forks will not take anything larger than 185mm.

· "El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
My vote for the 525's

They work very good and are not as expensive.

You'd rather save those extra 150 bucks on the XT and upgrade your fork later.

Any chance to get Avid Mechanicals??? Those are surprisingly good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.