Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Front Range XC
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've live here for three years and I have to say if this summer is how Denver weather really is it pretty much sucks. This rain every flipping day is just stupid. I mean I guess the weather here is ok if you can ride in the morning. But for us 9 to 5 folks it pretty much sucks. The previous two summers (which I'm told were actually a drought) were great in my book.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
49 other states out there... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
mcdelroy said:
So I've live here for three years and I have to say if this summer is how Denver weather really is it pretty much sucks. This rain every flipping day is just stupid. I mean I guess the weather here is ok if you can ride in the morning. But for us 9 to 5 folks it pretty much sucks. The previous two summers (which I'm told were actually a drought) were great in my book.
100 plus days in 2009 and counting....yeah there has been much more rain than normal, but it really hasn't caused me to lose out on too many days of riding so far and the trails are in great shape.

·
slow
7,463 Posts
Sorry to hear. I am enjoying the afternoon rains. They have been moving out around 5 or 6 here in Fort Collins, leaving tacky trails, cooler air, and nice vegetation and flowers in time for an evening ride.

Drought summers, in my book, consist of dusty, loose trails, hot after work rides, dry stream beds, and brown vegetation. I'll take this summer, thanks

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
I've lived/ biked here since ' 73 , and while the past month has been damper than most years, I usually try to ride early during the summer, like in, ride out the door by 5:30- 6:00 AM for a 2 Hour Tour , (cue up Gilligan's Island music), to the closest ST, about 20 min by bike away . Last year was almost as wet... and a lot snowier up high.

Ride back, shower, and I'm ready to leave for work by 8:45 AM.

Afternoon storms are the norm. Ride early or just plan on the chance of getting rained out

At least you have that option during the summer. There's not a whole lot you can do when it's one of those winters where it snows as much as it's rained this summer. I've seen many more of them, than this past months rains.

In the mean time, I've only seen the hills this green, this late a few times. Get out and enjoy it !

·
slack jawed
182 Posts
sgltrak said:
Drought summers, in my book, consist of dusty, loose trails, hot after work rides, dry stream beds, and brown vegetation. I'll take this summer, thanks
+1

I'm digging the wet weather.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Go out later or get up earlier. Last time I checked it was light out at 5:15a and you had enough light to see until 9p. Or, you could see if you can stay later at work a couple of days a weeks and leave work earlier to get in a ride before the rain moves in. Maybe you could arrange to come in a few hours later?

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
You should move to where people are more tolerant.

Of whiny little biotches.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Drop the Seat said:
Move to Utah.
+1

I so have to say this summer has been great. I have been here for 3 years this is the best so far.I have never seen the MTN's so green so long. I hope it keeps up but for the next week it will be in the 90's and no rain. :eekster:

·
Rigid in Evergreen
1,538 Posts
Didn't someone post a rainfall map for this season recently and it showed that the precip in many areas was running about double the average this year?

It has been much better in the last 2 or 3 weeks now that it has warmed up a bit. I don't mind getting a little wet, but I do get tired of constantly being cold and wet.

I'm just happy that nothing is burning and there is plenty of drinking water.

·
Front Range XC
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went to the gym instead come out and its sunny. @*$%#^$ ! Isn't all this rain going to kill the rattle snakes??

Did anyone ride WR this evening? Was it slick? Next time I ride anyway.

I couldn't do Utah. I like beer and coffee too much. AZ would be killer except the 180 degree summers.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
mcdelroy said:
I went to the gym instead come out and its sunny. @*$%#^$ ! Isn't all this rain going to kill the rattle snakes??

I couldn't do Utah. I like beer and coffee too much. AZ would be killer except the 180 degree summers.
Not much rain out in Golden...pretty standard, just because it is raining in Denver doesn't mean it is raining out here. :D

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
If you ever post an opinion on this board just expect everyone to disagree with you.

mcdelroy said:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
mcdelroy said:
To each his own. I dream of Moab, which has year-round riding and every other outdoor activity you can imagine.

It has five absolutely killer coffee places (in a town of 4000) and two microbreweries. No, I'm not counting Starbucks.

Five great bike shops and one of the best outdoor gear shops in the universe.

Everything you need except a job.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Why complain about the weather? There is NOTHING anyone can do about it. Talk about a waste of breath (or type)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts