Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
J:
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been fixing rim dents with a vise and spacers and it gets em back on the trail (long as the hook isn't completely smashed down). Anyone found a tool other than that rim wrench?.. something that could crimp the radius back up into place would be nice

·
West Chester, PA
4,946 Posts
The rim wrench DOES pull the radius back into place. Only problem is Paul Morningstar accidentally offed himself recently, so I don't know if you can buy one. Probably used ones on ebay. Great little tool.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The rim wrench works great. RIP Paul Morningstar. I wonder if someone will step in and start making those tools again. I have his disk truing tools too.

·
J:
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rim wrench DOES pull the radius back into place.
Seemed like it would gouge or leave teeth marks in the aluminum since it's such a small cavity, maybe I'll try something like it then..does it leave a smooth surface for the bead?

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
I have on of the tools. It works almost flawless on Stan's rims. It's hard to see any damage after the repair. I haven't tried it on other rims. If your rim has a dent on the bead seat (horizontal area that tubeless tire bead sits on) it will not fix that.

RIP Paul.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
Rip Paul.

That tool is pure perfection, it doesn't crimp the rims. In every cross section of every rim I've ever seen, the bead is solid metal, therefore un-crimpable.

·
J:
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe crimp was the wrong word. Was thinking of something that works like pliers except the top and bottom jaws in shape of bead hook profile.. squeeze together and stamp it back into shape.. anyway sounds like that wrench is perfect for the job so I'll try to find one. Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Jerkface

The rim wrench DOES pull the radius back into place. Only problem is Paul Morningstar accidentally offed himself recently, so I don't know if you can buy one. Probably used ones on ebay. Great little tool.
My father didn't "Off himself". Next time try thinking about how other people might feel before you make a stupid remark.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have some extra Rim Wrenches that were my fathers. I might try to keep the business going. PM me if you are interested in having me send you one.

·
Magically Delicious
9,803 Posts
While this has been stated before, I held an elevated respect and admiration for Paul. He was a very kind and generous guy who thought the world of those who loved bikes. He was a gifted man of unsurpassed passion for the bike and those who shared that same passion. While I never met Paul, I shared long conversations and exchanged emails with him. He was a source of genuine inspiration not only for me personally, but many others as well.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
My father didn't "Off himself". Next time try thinking about how other people might feel before you make a stupid remark.
Shawn, I just saw his insensitive remark and I was going to tune him in but I see you did a fine job. There isn't a day go by that I don't think of your dad as we talked via e-mail daily; many times daily. Paul was one of the world's true characters and we're much worse off without him. My big regret is that we never met, rode together and shared some ideas in his workshop.

·
J:
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have some extra Rim Wrenches that were my fathers. I might try to keep the business going. PM me if you are interested in having me send you one.
Thanks for the offer, I'm using one I picked up already. It's a nice piece, like how easy this works.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
1319725710416-1pgo3alsx2wbt-700-80.jpg

Anyone try making one of these? I see the Park rotor truing tool is pretty close. Can maybe do some simply mods to make it work better, so the corner isn't going into the exterior of the rim, and so there's a pocket to pull the rim out by the beadhook.

3atyxgn.png

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have some rim wrenches left

Been fixing rim dents with a vise and spacers and it gets em back on the trail (long as the hook isn't completely smashed down). Anyone found a tool other than that rim wrench?.. something that could crimp the radius back up into place would be nice

Hi there, I'm shawn, Paul's daughter. I have a bunch left. Let me know if you want one and I'll send it. :)

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Hi there, I'm shawn, Paul's daughter.
Hey Shawn, I was just thinking about your dad two days ago. We had lots of happy e-mails over many years. Almost daily. He saved the stamps from letters from all over the world and sent them to my wife. He was a special friend, truly cherished and very much missed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Shawn, I was just thinking about your dad two days ago. We had lots of happy e-mails over many years. Almost daily. He saved the stamps from letters from all over the world and sent them to my wife. He was a special friend, truly cherished and very much missed.
Hi Mike, So good to hear from you on here. I'm very glad he and you had such a nice relationship. It seems like yesterday everything happened and he was gone too soon. take care, S

1 - 20 of 20 Posts