Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking about buying a used DJ bike, but the frame has a dent in it. Should I be worried about this dent, or is it no big deal? It's a steel frame.

Here's the pic of the dent...I hope the pic turns out.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
trailrash said:
I'm thinking about buying a used DJ bike, but the frame has a dent in it. Should I be worried about this dent, or is it no big deal? It's a steel frame.

Here's the pic of the dent...I hope the pic turns out.
how old is that dj bike? i haven't seen a kona with a headtube gusset like that before... :confused:

but back on topic, i useually stay away from bikes with dents.... but that just me.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
JBsoxB said:
how old is that dj bike? i haven't seen a kona with a headtube gusset like that before... :confused:

but back on topic, i useually stay away from bikes with dents.... but that just me.
so do i

thats either an 02 or 03,(i think there was a scab in 03) kona

scabs are also one of their lower end dj bikes

·
high school loser
1,313 Posts
scabrider had one. its 02 i think. really really solid frame. he had a small dent the same spot for awile and nothing ever happened so its probley safe.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's an '02. I'll probably pass on it. 3 yr. old frame that's probably been thrashed quite a bit. I'm sure it wouldn't be long before a nut-buster occurred.

·
Registered
798 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Felpur said:
That's not a very good deal for a damaged product, I'd stay away unless it was uber cheap.... for that same price range you could get a new frame ie Azonic steelhead is cheap or Mt cycle rumble to name a couple... :rolleyes:
That's what I wanted to do...buy a Steelhead and build it up. My problem is I don't have any parts to build it up with. By the time I bought everything I needed, I'd be out around $1,000. My budget for a DJ is $300. I won't let myself spend more than that.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Felpur said:
That's not a very good deal for a damaged product, I'd stay away unless it was uber cheap.... for that same price range you could get a new frame ie Azonic steelhead is cheap or Mt cycle rumble to name a couple... :rolleyes:
dude, its a complete bike sith shiver sc and sh!t

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
RuNDmC1087 said:
I think its even older, like a 98 or 99, the really old ones with the bending seat tube

anyhow im not sure about teh dent, but its probabally best to stay away from buying that frame/
.WestCoastHucker. said:
steel is real...

that dent isn't sh!t......
I have one, got a dent a little smaller in about the same place, I think wch is right, that dent shouldn't be a big deal on a steel frame.

Felpur said:
or if you like that frame, you could get it for cheaper than I've seen steelheads going for.
http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2188&Catalog=39&sort=Price

here's mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
Chikity China said:
dude, its a complete bike sith shiver sc and sh!t
complete, my bad, that is a good deal then.. I thought just frame

damm...need to stop smoking my breakfast

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
steel is real...

that dent isn't sh!t......
Exactly. Those old Konas are all steel and will put up with lots of ****. Any steel frame will. Those are just battlescars :D I used to have a On-One Gimp and I bought it used with several dents in it and while I didnt do much on it it held up fine to my 210# ass on plenty of things. :cool:

·
pwn3rator
3,640 Posts
nobody242424 said:
scabrider had one. its 02 i think. really really solid frame. he had a small dent the same spot for awile and nothing ever happened so its probley safe.
yeah, mine has a dent in th' same spot but it has'nt caused me any troulble, i wouldn't buy it anyway cause it has i dent and something might happen...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I'm not gonna buy it. I don't mind buying used stuff, but not used stuff with dents in it. Plus, I think it might be too small for my 6'1" height.

·
pwn3rator
3,640 Posts
i got an '02 in the end of '03 for $400.00, i would just look around for a new one, the rigid fork also helps you to become a more flowy rider instead of just going right through stuff like you're on a demo 9...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.