Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a ride today and I took a farily minor crash on a steep section, but when I picked to bike up again (Giant AC frame with a super t) i noticed that where the fork stanchion had been wrenched around, there was a quarter sized dent in my down tube. No cracks, no marks in the paint, just the dent. . . so, should i be worried about the frame snapping in half the next time I go off a drop? Is this worth throwing away an otherwise decent frame over? and if so, does anybody want to buy the rear half of an AC? Swinger 4 way coil perhaps? Anybody have a comparable frame they want to sell me?

·
Registered
180 Posts
skatetokil said:
I was on a ride today and I took a farily minor crash on a steep section, but when I picked to bike up again (Giant AC frame with a super t) i noticed that where the fork stanchion had been wrenched around, there was a quarter sized dent in my down tube. No cracks, no marks in the paint, just the dent. . . so, should i be worried about the frame snapping in half the next time I go off a drop? Is this worth throwing away an otherwise decent frame over? and if so, does anybody want to buy the rear half of an AC? Swinger 4 way coil perhaps? Anybody have a comparable frame they want to sell me?

it depends on what size drops you are planning on doing... if you are going for fairly large drops to a bad transition then you might want to be worried. it also depends on how well your suspension is working, travel, and your weight. i wouldnt stress about it right now, i dont think that it will just snap in half on you without giving some warning signs first. plus it would be something really cool to hang up on your wall, the broken frame that is.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The super t is nice and squishy up front, and I only weigh around 175. . . but it is worrisome that from now on when I pull up to the lip of a drop, another factor to consider is whether the head tube is going to suddenly rip off my frame. Who knows, maybe it will make me smoother. . .

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have had a semi large dent on my top tube for the last few months and have had no problems. I have a Kona Stinky and I weigh about 220. The guys at the bike shop said it shouldn't be a problem. I would suggest that you take it to someone who really knows about frames and get it checked out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts