Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Can this be fixed somehow? Is there any risk that the strength of the frame at the place of the dent has decreased? Is this covered by the guarantee?

·
Super Moderator
3,266 Posts
I doubt it can be fixed, and I couldnt guess what impact it has had on frame integrity.....
I think Cdale wouldnt warranty something like that, I mean does Ford warranty a fender if you hit Someone else? I mean these bikes are meant for a life of abuse and things are going to happen...
CDT
PS waht kind of bike is it?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Could it be fixed? Sure, it could, but it wouldn't be worth the time and money to do it, and you'd risk doing more harm than good trying to fix it. Since that tube is butted, you've damaged it at one of the thicker areas. A precursory glance seems to show no damage to the weld, and while any deformation of material will have some affect on the frame, I doubt it would ever be a problem. As was pointed out above, Cannondale isn't going to warranty crash damage. An impact with a rock isn't a manufacturing defect.:madman:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is 06 Scalpel 2000. I just wondered about the warranty, I do not know how it happened exactly; maybe it was cause by impact of a flying stone or a piece of wood with no sharp edges because the color is not scratch so much. My worries concerned the durability and stability of the frame and safety would be reason to have it replaced. I will consult with Cannonade, anyway. The last thing I would like to enjoy during a ride would be the collapse of the frame.
As for the fixing, I heard there are some tools that can soak the dents back in car repairs. I sent some emails already but one mechanic already doubted its possibility to repair it.
Of course it makes you sad, but you are right, the bike is to be used!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Sorry about your dent. Bad thing is that it's right where the drive side chaistay and BB weld meet. Every Cannondale frame that has failed on me has failed at that weld. To me...it's the weakest part of the frame.

Would it be a warranty issue? I don't think they would warranty it since it was not a result of craftsmanship.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No the weld is not affected. It is rather a cosmetic issue than limitation to proper use! I just feel some emotions to this piece of biking machine. Thanks and happy riding to U!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My option is to wait until Cannondale will come out with carbon Scalpel frame. I would be saved from any such dents with a carbon frame. I considered some airbrush to customize my bike but it is not needed any more :) Thanks for your opinion.

·
Registered
246 Posts
apacherider said:
Sorry about your dent. Bad thing is that it's right where the drive side chaistay and BB weld meet. Every Cannondale frame that has failed on me has failed at that weld. To me...it's the weakest part of the frame..
Rakon's dent isn't on the chainstay, it's the downtube, although I too have had a CAAD5 frame crack at the driveside chainstay at the BB.

To me it doesn't look like anything to worry about at all, even the paint is barely scratched.

If I were you Rakon, if you don't want to trust your own judgement, I'd take the frame into your local Cdale dealer and have them inspect it for cracks. If it gets a clean bill, I'd just ride it like normal and periodically inspect it, as you'd normally do.
If you see no changes, such as paint flaking, just go with it. Years ago I had a F700 with a similar sized dent on the DT, just a few inches up (it smashed into a large rock during a tumble), and I continued to rally it for a couple years that way until I sold it--and only then just because I wanted disk brakes. My current Furio has two small dents, midway toptube and seattube, and has been that way for at least a year, and I ride hard all the time. Remember that your downtube has a couple of actual holes in it, close together: the bottle cage mount.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I kicked up a stone from the front tire racing and put a hole in the frame at about that spot, about the diameter of your little finger, actually kinked the cable. This is what they told me... dents = OK, holes = do not ride. I wouldn't worry much about that dent, it seems like a problem area with the Scalpel, as others I ride with have similar dents. The tubing is very, very thin. On the new frame I cut a piece of old tire and zip tied it on the bottom of the down tube, put my mind at ease and I have heard rocks bang it with no effects. Mike

·
Registered
246 Posts
WindWalker said:
I. The tubing is very, very thin. On the new frame I cut a piece of old tire and zip tied it on the bottom of the down tube, put my mind at ease and I have heard rocks bang it with no effects. Mike
That's a great idea! I have a strip of electrical tape running down the downside for that very purpose, but why not a strip of inner tube or old road tire? It'd be lighter and less bothersome than fenders at least during dry season.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Dent is okay...

You dent won't hurt the integrity of your frame since is has a smooth radius in it. If the dent had caused a sharp crease, it would be a different story... Tough luck, but in that location noboby is going to notice it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts