Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya folks, had a little accident with my bike the other day. I leaned it against a wall but a strong wind gust knocked it to the ground and the frame hit a rock. I now have a chip/dent on the non-drive seat stay about 1 sq. mm. and maybe 0.5mm at its deepest. How concerned should I be with this ? I've heard carbon cracks propagate, but mine isn't really a crack and the seat stays are being compressed when ridden (not bending). I've done the coin tapping along the seat stay and also compared the noise with the other seat stay - I cant hear any dullness, nor does the seat stay creak or bend when I apply pressure at the dent. Would love to hear your opinions - is this amenable with a little epoxy resin or do I need to get it professionally repaired?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Judgement call based on your comfort level.
I've seen carbon frames with worse chips/chunks last for years.
If it was a crack, then that is an eventual death sentence for seatstays and would need repair.
If you are certain that there is no cracking, ride as is but monitor it.
Looks like a simple CF repair if you choose to go that route- in it's current state it is a repair you could effectively do yourself as there should be no alignment/stress issues.
If there is cracking, have it evaluated by someone who has experience repairing CF to make sure that when repaired everything will be aligned.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tap gently with hammer.
Listen for resonating.... if it doesn't sound firm, send for carbon repair.

I'd speculate it's OK.
Fill with epoxy to keep the crud out.
Then put some 3M vinyl over it to protect.

Boom.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,516 Posts
that's toast.

can be sanded, opened a bit, and wrapped with a repair though
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do NOT bother to tap test it, all you may do is increase delamination

is it clearly 110% broken and it's delaminated inside.

you only need to tap test when you can't see obvious crushing

Reactions: noapathy

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,720 Posts
That is obvious CF structural damage.

The good news is it's in the middle of a tube and that's the easiest type of damage to repair.

Go to the Evil forum and see the cracked bike thread there, lots of good information on repair. It's relatively simple to do at home, but it's tedious, time consuming and messy. But still, it's not technically difficult IME.

Reactions: noapathy
1 - 6 of 6 Posts