Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some denatured alcohol the other day, since many recommend it as being more effective than isopropyl alcohol for cleaning/degreasing disc rotors. Apparently it can be used as camping and marine stove fuel, and will cause you to sire deformed children and/or spontaneously combust if you aren't really careful about how you look at it, touch it, and breathe it.

All kidding aside, how do you guys work with this stuff safely? Do you immerse your rotors in some kind of vat of it, or do you put some of it on a cloth or rag and wipe them down? How do you safely dispose of whatever materials you used and leftover fluid if necessary?

·
Registered
861 Posts
^Yep, anything will work really as long as it's clean to begin with. I have always used cotton balls.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I fill up an old watter bottle (bike type) with the stuff. Make sure to keep the bottle away from anyone that may accidently drink it, I mark my bottle with a red marker (sharpie) with a skull and crossbones. Squirt a little on a rag and wipe the rotors clean. The residue on the rag will quickly evaporate. The reason alot of people use this stuff is that when it evaporates it leaves no residue. Regular alcohol leaves a film. Keep the bottle closed to prevent all of it from going away.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Isopropyl Alcohol is preferred....

At Hayes we prefer to use 70% Isopropyl alcohol to clean rotors. Spray some on the rotor and use a clean paper towel to wipe it off. Stay away from using the red or blue cloth shop towels as they usually have some sort of cleaning chemical residue in them. Denatured alcohol is more like a Ethanol. Same chemical chain just some different additives.

Cheers,
Randy

·
Registered
129 Posts
At Hayes we prefer to use 70% Isopropyl alcohol to clean rotors. Spray some on the rotor and use a clean paper towel to wipe it off. Stay away from using the red or blue cloth shop towels as they usually have some sort of cleaning chemical residue in them. Denatured alcohol is more like a Ethanol. Same chemical chain just some different additives.

Cheers,
Randy
Can I use the Alcohol Swabs that's use to clean thermometer?

·
Registered
192 Posts
It has other chemicals......

Auto Brake cleaner is great for cars and motorcycles because they can generate enough heat to burn off the residue that is left behind. Bikes don't get near the temperature range to burn it off.

Cheers,
Randy

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
I can't imagine why everyone here doesn't just use what all brake manufacturers suggest (I can't think of any that don't) - isoproply alcohol. It's widely available and cheap. Why risk it with anything else? Who know what additives are in the other stuff mentioned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts