Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is this demon dog in my area...and it comes out into the road and barks and is aggressive..Ive called animal control and yet it the owner continues to let the dog run free (there is a leash law in my town)..so if animal control seems to not affect this owner..should I call the police the next time the dog attacks me?

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
there is this demon dog in my area...and it comes out into the road and barks and is aggressive..Ive called animal control and yet it the owner continues to let the dog run free (there is a leash law in my town)..so if animal control seems to not affect this owner..should I call the police the next time the dog attacks me?
Did it bite you?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I ride hard till it gets close, jam the brakes because a dog can't slow down as fast and ride over the dogs paws. That hurts and they never bother bicycles again. Works best with a mountain bike, more stability.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You can take a video of the dog that proves that it's out without a leash, and turn it in to Animal Control. Animal Control can then fine the owners since this is proof of the law being broken. At least that's how it works in my area...

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
You can take a video of the dog that proves that it's out without a leash, and turn it in to Animal Control. Animal Control can then fine the owners since this is proof of the law being broken. At least that's how it works in my area...
Make sure it doesn't turn into a "When Animals Attack" episode. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't use bear spray! There's no need for it. Pay the owner a visit and tell them you'll be reporting them IMMEDIATELY if it happens again.
And unless the dog actually bit you, you cannot say it 'attacks you'. If you use this language to Animal Control or the police, they will probably have the dog put down. There's no need for this; just a little control on the owners part.
Don't blame the dog for the stupidity of its owner. I have the most lame-as*, sheep-ish, unaggressive dog in the world who thinks bikes are the freakiest thing around. She tries to chase them when I walk her (ironic, isn't it?) but she's certainly not a 'demon dog'.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I ride hard till it gets close, jam the brakes because a dog can't slow down as fast and ride over the dogs paws. That hurts and they never bother bicycles again. Works best with a mountain bike, more stability.
You're a horrible person, -rep

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that animal hasnt bitten me..yet...it comes very close...then when the owner hears the barking they come out and call the dog..it is reluctant to go back but it finally does...in the area I live in there are kids around and Im just thinking if this animal is this aggressive toward me..how would it be to a little kid?...I mean I would think chaining the thing up would be cheaper than a lawsuit...I carry "halt" with me and I took it out and sprayed at it the other day and the dog went back..I didnt hit the animal with the halt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i deal with dogs that chase me all the time, but if your not afraid of them and in all honesty if the dog has a collar i will stop, tell it to sit cause its the most common trick taught to them and they stop and calm down. most dogs just dont like bikes. for example, their is a pitbull where i enter and exit my trails. he looks vicuous and people are terrified because of pitbulls reputation. ( i have one myself) it started barking at me and chasing me and all i did was say shhh relax in a calm assertive voice and the dog just stopped. on the other hand if i see a stray dog that look vicious id rather hurt the dog before it hurts me. but ill take my chances on a dog with a collar that obviously has an owner.

·
since 4/10/2009
35,271 Posts
Halt! is marketed specifically for this purpose. Not quite as potent as bear spray, but potent enough. Save the bear spray for the owner.

I actually had success using my AirZound horn against a couple of dogs giving chase one day. I waited until they were close - less than 10ft away - and gave a long, hard blast. Dogs stopped in their tracks and never bothered me again.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
I'm glad to hear that people are advocating for dealing with the owner and not the dog as its not the dogs fault (I'm going to HOPE that the people who suggested hurting the dog were kidding . . . if not, I'll be happy to run over your feet with my car).

I'd set up a sting operation with the police. Its very simple to do. Call the police and complain, repeatedly if you need to. Eventually (hopefully on the first complaint) they will come out and all you have to do is recreate the situation, which based on what you have described seems to happen without fail.

·
EDR
10,697 Posts
I wouldn't consider a dog running after me and barking as an 'attack'. However the threat is there. He most likely is only chasing you b/c you are running from him...in his eyes. I'd bet if you were walking he wouldn't act the same. If I'm wrong then the kids in the hood are indeed at risk and action with law enforcement is needed.

The dog probably won't ever hurt you. I mean, it's not a lion. It's not going to jump on your back and sink it's fangs into your neck and try to sever your spine. It's just gonna run along a antagonize you, hopefully that's the extend of it.

Anyhow, kick it in the head. j/k...................................................sort of.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yeah, some dogs still have their predatory instincts to chase after things that run.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
Having my fair share of "interesting" neighbors around, I've often found that talking with the owner about a problem, often just leads to threats, obnoxious comments, and slammed doors.

Sad, but it's the nature of the world we live in nowadays.

Much good advice here though. I'd add stopping, putting the bike between you and the dog, and firmly telling the dog to go home, till they do. Often, this will lead to it's owner coming out and realizing the issue on their own without you "invading their castle to inform them of their imperfections". :rolleyes:

Alternately, you can try riding past a little ways, and if it keeps up, turn quickly, and ride straight at it while making a godawful wracket, yelling, screaming like a caveman, most often they turn tail and run, which, if nothing else, will make you feel better, and give the surrounding neighbors a good show. Most of the time though, you are now a marked rider who the dog will give wide berth to, "look out, that dudes crazy!" :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.