Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like the rainy season is late this year but we still need to put energy into the trails we have been enjoying all year. This Sunday, Jan 28th we will be continuing our maintenance in the Soquel Demonstration Forest with projects on the Sawpit trail and possibly, Ridge trail in between Sawpit and tractor is we get enough help, aimed at improving drainage, cutting back brush, and enhancing your trail experience by taking some fallen trees and building technical features.

We are meeting at the parking lot on Highland, across the steel bridge at 8:30 AM. Most people will be driving down Hinh's mill road and then we will hike up Sawpit to do the work. If you want to ride your bike to the work site please let me know ahead of time so that I can arrange to get some tools up to the work site or maybe bring a trailer for you to tow.

You should bring long pants and sleeves, plenty of water, and lunch or a snack you can carry with you on the trail, and hiking shoes/boots. I will bring work gloves to loan if you have none. If you are planning on riding into the site, bring ride gear. The Stewards of Soquel Forest will provide coffee and something for your sweet tooth. Our start time is 9:00am, and we will work until mid-afternoon. From there, some will go for a ride, and others will stay and clean tools.

Please sign up at http://www.trailworkers.com/volunteer.cfm so we know how many tools to bring.

G

·
I thought the work day was to do the reroute on Corral. Has that been posponed to the next work day, please advise.

How does that new log roll ride on Braille?

Thanks

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The proposed re-alignment on corral has been postponed to another workday. It will happen, but needs CDF approval first and they have not had time to go check it out yet. It may need some fine tuning of the line choice by them before we start digging, so I chose to pick another project for this weekend. If you guys want to wait and show up for the day when we do new trail cutting, no hard feelings, as I know it's more fun to do that than to clear drains and stuff. I'm sure we'll still have some fun and any work we do will keep the trails in great shape for the upcoming rains.

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carl Hungus said:
If I'm not riding afterwards, what time can I expect to be back in the parking lot? Ballpark estimate? I may have plans later in the day and I'm trying not to hose myself.
We usually arrive back to the parking lot around 2-3pm on average. We can always work something out if you need to leave earlier though. I know we have at least one person who is planning on leaving early who knows the combo to the gate so you may be able to ride with him and he can open the gate for you. You can pm me and I can get you details on timing and stuff.

·
dis member
298 Posts
Lets find out...

"How does that new log roll ride on Braille?"

How about 10:00 at the upper parking lot, this Monday the 29th? We can check out some of the other work that was done the day before :) Do I hear triple loop?

G

·
backpedal said:
"How does that new log roll ride on Braille?"

How about 10:00 at the upper parking lot, this Monday the 29th? We can check out some of the other work that was done the day before :) Do I hear triple loop?
Is Corral going to be part of the triple loop, and is the new proposed reroute on Corral cast in stone?

G

·
shanedawg said:
I can tell you that the re-route on corral is not finalized yet.
Is it not finalized yet because you are looking for a more fun sustainable route? Or CDF has issues due to various different reasons: future logging, wheel chair accessibility, equestrian, ATV, endangered species, endangered vegetation, archeological, proposed elf TTF's etc.? Or has Ed just not gotten out their yet because he has other higher priorities?

·
Broken and dizzy
694 Posts
Shane/Scott etc. hope you don't posting my $.02 on this:

Shane and I marked it off about two or three weeks ago now. As you know, we can make all the recommendations we want - it still has to be approved by the CDF (Ed) first. I imagine he just hasn't had the time to get up there and look it over yet.

"IF" it gets approved, it will be a better solution increasing the length of the trail while making it more sustainable.

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
John Finch said:
Is it not finalized yet because you are looking for a more fun sustainable route? Or CDF has issues due to various different reasons: future logging, wheel chair accessibility, equestrian, ATV, endangered species, endangered vegetation, archeological, proposed elf TTF's etc.? Or has Ed just not gotten out their yet because he has other higher priorities?
Uh, how bout "J", none of the above

G

·
shanedawg said:
Uh, how bout "J", none of the above
This is fun: First of all do you know the reason, but want to keep it a secret? Is there a fire danger, soil is too dry, your out of flagging tape, you or some other trail leader would rather work on other projects, no one can figure out a new good alignment, the tools have been stolen, etc

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
John, I really don't mind talking about it with you but I don't have time to deal with the sarcasm right now. Maybe when I am not at work, and not so busy.

·
Broken and dizzy
694 Posts
Unless you guys are having fun with the e-sarcasm, I can see this getting out of hand pretty quick. I myself haven't done a ton of trailwork out there, but I've known Scott and Shane for a really long time and they are both very involved with trailwork out at Demo.

Things you have to keep in mind: first and formost is that regular trail maintenace is the priority. (ie. drainage, downed trees, removing illegally built stunts, etc.) THEN and only THEN can we begin other projects like some of the re-routes being discussed.

FWIW, Shane and I went out there on OUR time to flag the possible re-route, so think about that for a minute.

Want to have a say? Sign up for some trail work, help us get the manditory work done so we can then maximize the volunteer efforts and get the more fun things done like re-routes and TTF's.

http://trailworkers.com/volunteer.cfm

·
We need more wax
307 Posts
shanedawg said:
You'll have to ask Charles about the triple loop but I can tell you that the re-route on corral is not finalized yet.
Are you open to other proposals for the reroute? There may be others who would like to flag the new trail route. Is that an option?

BTW, if Mr Finch is bugs you too much :incazzato: just ignore him. That's what I do when he tries to talk politics with me.

Sorry I cannot make the trail work day this time. I got a date with my wife. Really.

justbob

G

·
Reward for a good job of routing

justbob said:
Are you open to other proposals for the reroute? There may be others who would like to flag the new trail route. Is that an option?justbob
Hey justbob:

I was up at Water Dog working on some badly needed maintenance projects today when I came up with an interesting idea. My idea was that in future re-route situations that the steward leaders set up a competition on the routing of the new re-route. There are usually a number of different alignments and some are better than others, so getting the input from other qualified routers might be benefical to the end product.

I thought the reward for the winner might be that a local bike shop would offer a complete new bike (of the routers choice) at 10% over the shops cost. In order to obtain this great deal the winner would have to go out and clear a two foot wide path of the re-route by themselves or with the help of their buddies which would hopefully help to expedite the project.

In order to qualify to become a potential trail router one might need to havve worked on 10 steward work days or to have built at least 3 miles of trail themselves or to have built a trail that was recognized by a public enity.

I also came up with an idea on a new trail project off of Sulfur Springs , but I will bring that up unfer a different tread.

G

·
John Finch said:
Hey justbob:

I thought the reward for the winner might be that a local bike shop would offer a complete new bike (of the routers choice) at 10% over the shop's cost. .
After my post last night justbob called me and told me he thought I was dreaming about such a generous reward. Even though it would take one person eight to twelve hours to do the routing and clearing, he thought maybe being able to purchase a bike tube or a pair of gloves at 10% over cost would be more inorder.

He is probably right since he got A's in school and I bearley got sees especially in spelling. .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.