Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of buddies and I are planning to hit Demo tomorrow if trail conditions permits. Anyone been there today? Or anyone got any idea how Demo would hold up with the recent rain? We're probably hit bacon and braille.

Thanks!

·
Mtbr Founder
35,547 Posts
It will be awful.... for the trail and for y'all.

That area got over an inch of rain last night. And it has been wet everyday for the last week. It's more wet there than in the SJ area.

So, I would give it a few days to dry out.

fc

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
OT, but demo question too...

planning on going down there on a dry day sometime in the next two weeks...

Last time I was down there I was on a hardtail with a horrible front fork (manitou magnum)

Now im on a 5in AM bike...

Question is, I'm new to being clipped-in (5-rides so far). Should I go clipped-in, or swap back on some beefy platforms? Personal preference aside, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
171 Posts
redmr2_man said:
OT, but demo question too...

planning on going down there on a dry day sometime in the next two weeks...

Last time I was down there I was on a hardtail with a horrible front fork (manitou magnum)

Now im on a 5in AM bike...

Question is, I'm new to being clipped-in (5-rides so far). Should I go clipped-in, or swap back on some beefy platforms? Personal preference aside, what do you guys think?
Go with the flats. The park is pretty technical for a newb on clips.

My .02

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
Demo prediction: Friday slick and soft in some places, with some puddles, but decent elsewhere. New trees down too. Where it is wet, you will leave tracks and potentially erode the trails. Your bike will get muddy and get wet sand in the drivetrain. BUT, if it warms up to 60* on Friday and is clear and sunny, it will be fine by mid-day Saturday. If it stays cool and cloudy it will still be slippery and soft in places until at least Sunday.

Basis for my prediciton: last week when I did trailwork, the ground was dry 1" below the surface. So I think most of the rain we got yesterday will have been absorbed and soaked in enough since we are not dealing with prior saturated conditions. The trees in demo will be thirsty if their leaves get warm, and their roots will dry out the trails. I'll bet the ground is not yet wet under those trees for more than 2 inches.

I would recommend Tractor over Braille though, because that one steep section in the middle of Braille will probably be pretty slick.

I love the first rains. Oh, and TRAILWORK in Demo on SUNDAY! Join us! I'll make sure to dig down and measure how far the moisture goes.

http://trailworkers.com/soquel_forest_.cfm

Patty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.