Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1135 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the existing specialized thread is still alive and well, but I was hoping to find some more pics of the Demo bikes. So how about a Demo specific thread? 8's, 9's, whatever, it's all good.

(p.s. my own contribution is a few weeks away)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Demo 8's

Heck ya, lets see pics of everybodies Demo 8's for the upcoming season. I just picked up my first Demo 8 frame last week and am begining the build process. I'm sitting in the cold and snow here in Utah so some pics of the Demo's out there would be motivating!!! So far I've got an '05 Demo 8 pro frame in medium with white '06 zoke 888rc2x's. Red King headset and F/R hubs should be here tomorrow along with a set of white Syncros DPS wheels. Zoke Rocco will be here Fri. for the rear. Here are a couple of quick pics, will post more when the build is complete. Might have to get another Demo frame in blk to build up with the Fox 40's when they get back from Fox. Good times :)
 

Attachments

·
aka...appBLING72
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
ekripper said:
Heck ya, lets see pics of everybodies Demo 8's for the upcoming season. I just picked up my first Demo 8 frame last week and am begining the build process. I'm sitting in the cold and snow here in Utah so some pics of the Demo's out there would be motivating!!! So far I've got an '05 Demo 8 pro frame in medium with white '06 zoke 888rc2x's. Red King headset and F/R hubs should be here tomorrow along with a set of white Syncros DPS wheels. Zoke Rocco will be here Fri. for the rear. Here are a couple of quick pics, will post more when the build is complete. Might have to get another Demo frame in blk to build up with the Fox 40's when they get back from Fox. Good times :)

Hey man, where did you score the white 888? That is going to be sweet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
White 888's

aappling72 said:
Hey man, where did you score the white 888? That is going to be sweet.
I walked into Go-ride last week to drop off my Fox 40's to have new lowers installed and there they were on the wall!!! Chris said they are a limited run here in the US I guess. They only got the one set in white I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Here is my Demo8. Coming from a V10, I thought the Demo would be a good race bike. It will work, but I'm pretty dissapointed with it. Frame weight is over 12 pounds. Chainstays are way too short. The seat tube is also in an odd position. Oh, and my first Demo8 broke, and this frame looks identical to the one that broke. The upsides to the bike is how nimble it is on tight, slow trails. It is also really simple to bunnyhop, unlike the V10. For anyone doing a lot of high level racing, I would recomend against this bike. I would have loved this bike when I was just starting out, but now it's just a twitchy, sketchy, heavy bike.

Overall, it's an alright freeride bike, but heavy, expensive, and twitchy.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
655 Posts
I've never heard anyone comment about the Demo's downhill prowess. I have however, heard plenty of reasons why it's not a good downhiller.

The bike isn't billed as a downhiller at all, and for good reason as you mention. It's touted as a good bike for shore, stunts and freeriding in general. Dedicated downhiller bikes like the V10, 223/4, and M3 differ greatly in geometry, and also aren't so great for low speed technical riding. I don't see many/any World Cup racers on Demos, and this should tell ya something While I'm sure in the hands of a skilled downhiller the performance gap could be narrowed I'm not sure why anyone would think that a bike like the Demo would be good at continuous highspeed riding like downhill.

This all seems fairly obvious to me.
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
Hot Butter Topping said:
I've never heard anyone comment about the Demo's downhill prowess. I have however, heard plenty of reasons why it's not a good downhiller.

The bike isn't billed as a downhiller at all, and for good reason as you mention. It's touted as a good bike for shore, stunts and freeriding in general. Dedicated downhiller bikes like the V10, 223/4, and M3 differ greatly in geometry, and also aren't so great for low speed technical riding. I don't see many/any World Cup racers on Demos, and this should tell ya something While I'm sure in the hands of a skilled downhiller the performance gap could be narrowed I'm not sure why anyone would think that a bike like the Demo would be good at continuous highspeed riding like downhill.

This all seems fairly obvious to me.
I advise you go back and re-read your Specialized catalog or view their website again, you obviously missed this point in the Specialized marketing, the Demo 8 is indeed billed a DH race bike.
Specialized said:
The result is the new Demo 8, optimized for DH racers...craving a more nimble machine.(versus the Demo 9 FR beat). At home on the DH circuit.
Nope not a DH race bike, NAH! :rolleyes:

As for WC racers riding Demos, ever heard of Kyle Strait?? Like Bender & Andrew Shandro, he's not just a talented Freerider he's also an accomplished DH racer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
bikenweed said:
Here is my Demo8. Coming from a V10, I thought the Demo would be a good race bike. It will work, but I'm pretty dissapointed with it. Frame weight is over 12 pounds. Chainstays are way too short. The seat tube is also in an odd position. Oh, and my first Demo8 broke, and this frame looks identical to the one that broke. The upsides to the bike is how nimble it is on tight, slow trails. It is also really simple to bunnyhop, unlike the V10. For anyone doing a lot of high level racing, I would recomend against this bike. I would have loved this bike when I was just starting out, but now it's just a twitchy, sketchy, heavy bike.

Overall, it's an alright freeride bike, but heavy, expensive, and twitchy.
Sure compare it to a V10 with its inter-continental turning radius and you're right.

My Demo 8 hasn't broken and it rides just fine. It's a DH bike, so expect a bit of weight. the shortness is all in the rear end, either you like or you don't. I didn't at first but now I find it quite manageable. I ride tight trails, not open stuff. The bike's a blast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
655 Posts
Guess I need to keep up on my hype. Seems it is billed as a downhill bike afterall.

As I aptly pointed out however, while I'm sure a gifted rider can take the Demo to a certain level anecdotal cases don't define the quality of anything (be it a bike or car or what have you). So while I can't deny that Kyle Strait's 31th ranking in 2005 is fantastic, he's also surrounded by a sea of what most people know as dedicated downhill bikes. Simple as that, hype aside.

I'd take a Demo in a heartbeat, and I'm a sh*tty rider I'll tell you straight away, but this shouldn't be too hard to think through.....the Demo is oriented (in design) towards FR (which it's great at I hear).

But I will obviously concede that they are doing some targetting at DH riding, but I also skip all that and go right to specs and geometry pages on Specialized.com. ;)
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
Hot Butter Topping said:
Guess I need to keep up on my hype. Seems it is billed as a downhill bike afterall.

As I aptly pointed out however, while I'm sure a gifted rider can take the Demo to a certain level anecdotal cases don't define the quality of anything (be it a bike or car or what have you). So while I can't deny that Kyle Strait's 31th ranking in 2005 is fantastic, he's also surrounded by a sea of what most people know as dedicated downhill bikes. Simple as that, hype aside.

I'd take a Demo in a heartbeat, and I'm a sh*tty rider I'll tell you straight away, but this shouldn't be too hard to think through.....the Demo is oriented (in design) towards FR (which it's great at I hear).

But I will obviously concede that they are doing some targetting at DH riding, but I also skip all that and go right to specs and geometry pages on Specialized.com. ;)
Hype? Seems? No not hype or seems, it is a DH bike.

Just like, as you clarified for us before, the 224, V10 & M3 are all DH bikes. And if you basing this off geometry alone, try taking another look at the 224 & M3 geo compared to the Demo8, they're not all that disimiliar. What's more another important aspect of a good DH race bike is weight and the Demo is def lighter than a V10.

Sorry you did't like my reference to Kyle being a viable WC racer even though he did race a Worlds last year and 31st isn't all that bad when you consider the number of actual races he did, years of experience compared to the more seaoned riders (carter, peat, barel, etc.) and the # of Pro's there are that race, nope not too bad at all. But then again, I guess it's lucky for him you don;t decide who is and isn't WC level, the racers do. BTW, not only was Kyle surrounded by dedicated DH race bikes, he was riding one.

Well I thought it through and I'll take Specialized word for it that the Demo 8 is indeed geared more toward DH racing and the Demo9 is more FR, since that's what the weight and geomtry says. However, I will concede your confused and haven't a clue what your talking about. :rolleyes:

While I admire your tenacity, your so far gone on this point it's almost laughable. This whole discussion harkens back to the same stupid point of whether the VP-Free is a Dh bike. While it obviously was never intended to be, it can be use as such, however it will never be optimal.

Now while the Demo 9 was indeed meant to be a FR bike, just because Demo 8 shares the same lineage, doesn't mean it's the same. The 8 is a very different machine indeed. It's lighter, less overbuilt, has different angles and the overall feel of the bikes is very different. Maybe they should have given it a different name than Demo, then maybe you wouldn;t be so confused, but who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Build progress

Well, I just went and picked up my wheels from Von at Go-Ride and they look awesome!!! I went with red King hubs front and rear, white Syncros rims, and red spoke nipples. So far the build consists of that wheel set, King headset in red, 888 rc2x forks in white and the new Zoke Rocco on the rear. I'll keep posting more pics as the build progresses. I put some close ups of the Rocco mount on the Demo. It's a sweet shock. My Ti spring from the Swinger fits it as well so that's a bonus. Later.
 

Attachments

·
Suddenly feeling my age..
Joined
·
165 Posts
My '06 Demo 8 II

Here's my baby.

'06 Demo 8 II frame, medium.
40RC 2 fork.
X-0 derailleur and X-9 shifter.
Saint brakes.
Dee-Max wheelset.
Tubeless Chunder tyres.
Holzfeller stem and crankset w/Howitzer B/B.
Specialized bars and Ti railed saddle.
647 pedals.
Easton pillar.
ODI MX lock-on grips.
Ultagra 12-27 cassette.
SRAM PG970 chain.
Blackspire guide.
 

Attachments

·
Suddenly feeling my age..
Joined
·
165 Posts
My Demo 9 DH

Here's my old baby.

'04 Demo 9 DH framem medium.
'04 888R fork (rebound and compression).
Saint cranks, B/B, brakes, hubs (incl. prototype 12 X 150 rear), rotors etc.
X-9 derailleur and shifter.
Specialized bars and Ti railed saddle.
Thomson pillar.
Araya TM 830 DH rims & DT Comp spokes.
Kenda Blue Groove tubeless tures.
Syncros FR/DH Stem (I don't like the 888 integrated stem).
ODI Roughian lock-on grips.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Sick bikes guys. For anyone what has the DHX on the Demo8, is it a worthwhile upgrade from the Swinger 4way? I really don't care about compression adjustability, as the Swinger has more than what I need with the SPV and progression rate adjustments. The Swinger is super plush, too. What I do care about is plushness in combination with a pedaling platfor. It seems that the Fox is just "supposed" to be better because it is a Fox and expensive, but it won't be too hard for me to sell my 40RC2, buy a new 40R and a DHX.

So should I go through that hassle and get on a DHX? Is it worth it? Will it be any smoother or plusher? Advantages of that shock over the 4way?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I don't know how much better the DHX is over the Swinger 4 way, but i know the Cane Creek Double Barrel is the way to go if you were going to upgrade. Aappling would be able to convince you of this. I want one for my Enduro.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just arrived today: 2006 Demo 8 One.
So far stock except:
Diabolus handlebars, Race Face Lock on grips, Diabolus crankset w/ 38t Race Face DH rings, E.13 Supercharger guard.
I'm waiting on an e.13 LG1 guide.

The girl is my super hot girlfriend seductively posing, lol.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 1135 Posts
Top