Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I created a Strava segment in Demo using my Jan 23 ride. This makes for a great XC race course starting at the top of Ridge Trail:

Down Ridge and Sawpit, up Hihn, Tractor and Ridge, down Braille and up Hihn to the gate.

Sure enough I was King of the Mountain with a time of 1:36:07, beating all the slackers who take long breaks along the way.

I like the title King of the Mountain at Demo! I wonder how long it lasts.

Rank Name Date Speed (mph) Time
1 J.L. de Jong Sun, Jan 23, 2011 6.9 1:36:07
2 Jeff Williams Sat, Nov 14, 2009 6.4 1:43:28
3 David Belden Sat, May 10, 2008 6.0 1:51:00
4 Colin Daw Sun, Jun 14, 2009 5.7 153 1:55:54

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
unless you have the auto pause faeture turned off, or use a wheel magnet, GPS in the trees isn't all that accurate. Speed jumps around a bunch.

The time all the way down ridge and sawpit to the fireroad that the GPS gave me was minutes off what the stopwatch gave me.

In open places it works much better.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
From a race perspective,
I vote for changing the 2nd uphill to Suffer Springs then to Braille. There's more room for passing.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Autopause is off. My Strava time matched my stopwatch.
There's no need for passing on a individual time trial race, but I'll create the Ridge/Sawpit/Hihn/SulpherSprings/Braille/Hihn segement next time I ride that.
In the mean time, I'll enjoy my King of the Mountain at Demo title.

·
Registered
381 Posts
JL de Jong said:
Autopause is off. My Strava time matched my stopwatch.
There's no need for passing on a individual time trial race, but I'll create the Ridge/Sawpit/Hihn/SulpherSprings/Braille/Hihn segement next time I ride that.
In the mean time, I'll enjoy my King of the Mountain at Demo title.
Now that I can get down with!!! :thumbsup: You should add bacon along with the climb back up to the start of that.

Chris

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good course!

2clue said:
Why not make a Bacon part 1/ Bacon part 2/ Nisene Climb/ Ridge/ Coral/ Sulpher/ Ridge/ Sawpit/ Hihn/ Tractor/ Ridge/ Braille/ Hihn/ Gate also?

:)
Ok that's the perfect "everything-at-Demo" XC race course. I'll create that long segment on my next ride there, although somebody has probably done that ride already and could create it just as well. Creating ride segments on Strava is extremely easy. If you did this fast enough, you could enjoy being the everything-at-Demo King of the Mountain ... for a while.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Being personally responsible for many of the DH treats out there, I am all about rippin' DH. However, anything Strava with DH at Demo is a sheety idea gang. First, the numbers are just not accurate (at all). Second, this WILL tempt you to make really stupid decisions (guilty but converted) when trying to cut times. Third, makes for bad relationships with certain decision makers which is going through changes as we speak.

Sorry, I know it's a broken record plea but any chance we can take Strava DH out of Demo? It's just not a good idea. (be gentle with your flames...I am fragile)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The genie is out of the bottle and no way you can put it back in. Strava DH segments are here to stay unless Strava removes them all. It is pretty nice to compare your own Demo Super D (Ridge/Sawpit) time with others, but I have to agree that nobody should take undue risks. Ride in control and always wear a helmet, it has saved me already three times from very serious injury (once in Demo, once in Wilder, once on San Thomas).

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
If it get you fired up

have at it...just know that the DH data is completely inaccurate so whatever numbers you put up won't tell the true story and are basically a lie. Uphill is another story as the satellites don't have to keep finding you. (and it is a bad idea...click...and it is a bad idea...click...and it is a bad idea)

By the way, my GPS had me doing 70 MPH on Braille a few week back...try beating that!...no wait, please don't.

JL de Jong said:
The genie is out of the bottle and no way you can put it back. Strava DH segments are here to stay unless Strava removes them all. It is pretty nice to compare your own Demo Super D (Ridge/Sawpit) time with others, but I have to agree that nobody should take undue risks. Ride in control and always were a helmet, it has saved me already three times from very serious injury (once in Demo, once in Wilder, once on San Thomas).

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Wise

squashyo said:
this WILL tempt you to make really stupid decisions (guilty but converted) when trying to cut times. Third, makes for bad relationships with certain decision makers which is going through changes as we speak.

Sorry, I know it's a broken record plea but any chance we can take Strava DH out of Demo? It's just not a good idea. (be gentle with your flames...I am fragile)
Wise post.

It's not the closed course/controlled environment of an actual race. Other users might not be aware that you're gunning for Strava-Nirvana @ Demo and become a part of your decision making process weather they like it or not. Someone getting hurt or loosing access to Demo for "bragging rights" is dumb.

If you want to be a Super D stud, enter an actual race.

·
padded
705 Posts
This whole thread makes me think of Menso's entry in a great thread from the last rainy season (at 12/31/2009):
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=579029
Laughing helps me forget that I haven't ridden dirt in weeks.

Kidding aside, props to JL and anyone else who has the will to go all out up Tractor - I hate that climb so much I now just ride all the way up to Sulphur and climb it a 2nd time.

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
jms said:
Wise post.

It's not the closed course/controlled environment of an actual race. Other users might not be aware that you're gunning for Strava-Nirvana @ Demo and become a part of your decision making process weather they like it or not. Someone getting hurt or loosing access to Demo for "bragging rights" is dumb.

If you want to be a Super D stud, enter an actual race.
+1.

ZT

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.