Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks!

While reading the last few group rides to Demo (never ridden there before) I took the opportunity to dl the mapquest road map. I live just below Chesbro damn in Morgan Hill and was curious if this route I am considering is even feasible-

-Uvas Rd.\Mckenzie Rd.
-(L) Casa Loma Rd.
-(R) Uvas Canyon Rd.
-(L) Loma Prieta Rd.\Summit Rd.
-(L) Mt. Bache Rd.
-(L) Highland Way

Was hoping some one that was familiar with the roads up there knew for certain that this route is passable or not. Thanks and look forward to your replies.

KB

·
Registered
209 Posts
The best answer I can give you is: In theory, yes - In reality, no. While the roadsMAY actually still exist in passable form, there has always been in my memory at least one locked gate making vehiclular passage a no go.

I will admit that I haven't been up there in a while, so take my answer for what you will.

·
CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
1,289 Posts
I tried that route for the Aptos/Demo ride during May by the Bay a few weeks ago. There was a locked gate on Uvas road (sp?). I ended up going all the way around to Watsonville and coming up from the south.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tsimbu said:
Don't bother, it's gated. I tried from my house (near 101 and 85) for MBTB. Ended up going all the way around to Watsonville, driving over Mt. Madonna (private, dirt, and very ruff) then ended up right at Summit just before Highland Way anyway and had to go through the potholes. My Acura Integra made it no problem but I did scrape a bit coming down from the upper parking lot.
What is the entry from Mt Madonna? Would be nice to not have to go all the way around and enter from the West side near Soquel or even worse from Highway 17. Too bad there is a gate since it would be a damn short entrance for me on this side of the hill..

KB

·
CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
1,289 Posts
Try this route - modify as needed.

From Monterey:

Do not go to San Jose, that is the LONG way
Take 1 to Watsonville
Exit S Green valley Road
Right on Coralitos Rd
Corilitos becomes Eureka Canyon
At the crest Eureka becomes Highland
keep going until you see a parking area on the left and a yellow bridge
drive across the bridge to the inside parking

Don't bother trying Mt. Madonna. It was so rough and slow that it took me nearly an hour to get through it. Not to mention that it was posted as private property. :nono:

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,635 Posts
Another way

I don't know the back roads in Morgan Hill/Gilroy that run along/over the foothills/mountains. But if you can get over to Watsonville faster via the 101 or through Gilroy when Hecker Pass opens here's some directions.

coming from 152 West Hecker Pass (when it opens)
-right on Casserly Rd
-at the end of Casserly Rd you will hit Green Vly Rd
-right on Green Vly Rd
-left on Pioneers Rd
-you will come to a four way stop, this is Four Corners market I believe
-keep going straight, Pionneer Rd turns into Varni Rd
-at the end of Varni Rd is Corrralitos Rd
-right on Corralitos Rd into Corralitos
-you will get to a four way stop, if you see the Corralitos market on the left you're at the right place
-go straight up Eureka Canyon

coming from 129 West Riverside Dr
-right on Lakeview Rd
-left on College Dr
-go straight onto Holohan Rd
-right on Green Valley Rd
-left on Amesti Rd
-you will come to the four way stop at the Four Corners market
-make a left onto Varni Rd and continue to Corralitos

If you've never been to Demo let me know I can show you around (on summer vacation). On your way up Eureka Canyon you will pass Buzzard Lagoon before you get to the main parking lot. Buzzard Lagoon is the fire road that you will ride up to access the Ridge trail. The Ridge trail is where all the fun starts.

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
Too Many Cranksters and Hillbillies up there

From Morgan Hill it's 40 minutes via LG and Summit Rd. It's 60 minutes via Corralitos.

Here's my route:

From [email protected] Ave
Go West on Tenant to Monterey
Go south, left on Monterey to Watsonville Rd
Take Watsonville Rd to the end at 152
Go west, right on 152
At the summit, go right into Mt. Madonna Co Park
Go through the park, then west, left on Mt Madonna Rd at a 4 way intersection with a big tree.
Mt Madonna is a steep winding downhill.
At the bottom go right on Hazel Dell Rd.
This turns into Brown's Valley Rd at some point.
Go right on Eureka Canyon in Corralitos. Stop at the meat market for some extra tasty processed meat snacks.
Eureka Cyn turns into Highland, and you know the rest.

This isn't a lot different from the Casserly Route, but it the way I go.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a ton folks! I have a few options available to me to get to the Demo parking lot on that mapquest loc posted here before. Just sucks that Uvas road is gated as it would only be about seventeen miles from my house if it were open.. Such is life and it looks like FE might have the quickest route depending how slow it is using old Mt Madonna rd through the park. With Hecker Pass being closed the only other options are 17 and 129, both a tad too far to end up about seventeen miles from home:p

KB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.