Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just about finished going DOWN Braille this weekend when I saw a guy starting his climb UP. I told him there were a couple groups behind me and I kept riding down. Should I have told the guy " don't do it"? He seemed fit enough, but looking back on it, he couldn't have really expected someone to come to a stop to let him pass, could he? What would you do if you saw someone going UP a trail like Braille?

·
Registered
120 Posts
He knew what he was getting himself into. He probably can take care of himself. If I see a bunch of people who don't look like they know what they are doing, then I assume they don't ride demo a lot. If I see one guy all by himself, I'm going to assume that he know's the trail system and know's what's up.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Does this cause traffic problems? Whenever we did Braille, we rode down like it was a one way street. And I don't want to step on anyone's toes, if people want to climb that's cool, but it can be really annoying to get stopped right in the middle of a nice downhill single track session for someone else climbing up. It really breaks up your rhythm and flow (for a trail like Braille that is obviously meant for going down - other trails that are up/down it's no biggie since lots of people go in either direction anyhow).

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
that's like people who like climbing up Resolution at Skeggs (e.g. down fireroad, up singletrack)

I like to ride Resolution both ways but what fireroad? Climbing up singletrack is just as fun in many cases as riding down it. If someone wants to ride up Braille, more power to 'em, personally I'd rather use Tractor or go back around on the fireroad. If you want downhill only go to a ski resort (and even some of those are two-way trails, so be careful to extend right of way).

·
Registered
663 Posts
If someone wants to climb Braille then they are entitle to. Personally, I would never do it. I wouldn't want to ruin someone's descend. Having to stop when coming down Braille is not a good thing, let's hope climbing Braille does not become a new trend.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
More power to him.
Though I probably would have stopped and asked how familiar he was with the trail network and to make sure he knew that the trail he was on was heavily used in the opposite direction and to use caution as riders coming down don't usually expect riders coming up (and there was a better than average chance they'll be trucking at the edge of control).

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
If its not marked One Way only then its not...

I use the skier responsibilty code.

1) Ski in control (...only YOU know what "in control" means for YOU )
2) People ahead of you have the right of way.

I've always thought that those going DOWN had to yield the trail to those coming UP. Thats how I ride. I know its a drag, but unless a trail is marked as being --ONE WAY--> only, then its your responsibility to consider that someone MIGHT be coming up.

Obviously there are trails like Braille where the ever important Common Sense will tell you that its not that likely, but you still need to be ready. One easy way to stay safe is to make some NOISE out there. Whistle, yelp it up, whatever. It gives those down below a warning that you're about show up.

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
Braille is one of the funnest downhill sections in all of NorCal. Yes you have every right to climb it but I'd ask, and I think we can all agree, please don't climb it! It's one of the few trails that I can really let all 6" of my suspension actually be used. You get into a flow and then I'm suppose to stop in the middle of it?

Yikes!

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Well said B71, please don't climb Braille. If you do, please please please pay attention if anyone is coming down and get the heck off the trail. There are so many blind corners and steeps on Braille, that if I see you, I may not be able to stop in time.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
yup...I agree with B71 and rensho....these are downhill trails....I suppose ya have the right to climb'em....but please get outta the way for the cats comin' down....personally, I'm always on the lookout while riding Tractor in reverse...Braille on the other hand...ugh...that's gotta sting crawling up that :eek:

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
I'd never climb that. Climb up the backside like everyone else does, take the ridge trail, and then drop into Braille. The climbing is almost as challenging, and you're not wrecking the descent for anyone.

Plus, I know I can get some wicked speed through some of those sections. On my 45lb. steed, I know for a fact that if I look up, and someone is within 15 feet of me, I'm going to ram them. Simple as that.

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
Braille is a multi-use two way trail

Braille is a multi-use two way trail, it's not a one-way downhill mountain biking trail. You need to always be ready to stop and yield the trail to hikers, dog walkers, mushroom hunters, trail workers, and even the occassional horse (rare, but allowed).

If you ride like you shouldn't expect to have to stop you risk being surprised not only by other users who have every right to be there (going up, down, fixing a flat, looking at birds, whatever), but also by random fallen trees and slides blocking your path.

It seems pretty obvious, but you should ride in control enough that these things don't pose a risk to you, and you don't pose a risk to others.

Believe it or not, there is a speed limit in the Demo. 15mph. You won't find anybody out there with a radar gun and a ticket book, but the point is that it's not a closed race course. If you crash into somebody you will be at fault.

Patty

·
Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
1,469 Posts
Acadian said:
but the real question is why?

that's like people who like climbing up Resolution at Skeggs (e.g. down fireroad, up singletrack)...why?

it would be like riding Mr. Toads backwards....why?
hehe. I have had to ride back down that on cause there was still too much snow to find the trail. Haven't ridden Demo yet, Where is it at?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well put! There are TONS of downhill races this year. No one will be climbing or hiking the race courses, and out-of-control downhill speeds should stay on closed courses.

Ironically enough, a big part of DH racing is knowing how to use the brakes properly, and much time can be earned by braking late and hard and generally knowing how to, and being able to, slow down a lot when you need to.

knobbyknees said:
Braille is a multi-use two way trail, it's not a one-way downhill mountain biking trail. You need to always be ready to stop and yield the trail to hikers, dog walkers, mushroom hunters, trail workers, and even the occassional horse (rare, but allowed).

If you ride like you shouldn't expect to have to stop you risk being surprised not only by other users who have every right to be there (going up, down, fixing a flat, looking at birds, whatever), but also by random fallen trees and slides blocking your path.

Patty

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.