Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with Angela today at Demo and it seems people are riding the flow trail which is a big no-no. While understandably tempting, it is very important that we refrain from riding these trails until they are officially cleared and opened.

And in case this isn't enough, it is actually a misdemeanor if you are caught riding these trails. Yup, not worth it.

Please remove your Strava segments too.

Thanks and Demo was awesome today by the way. Be careful of a rather large tree down on Braille about midway down (right after the big wall ride/drop in).

Thanks

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Not surprised at all. Happened with Emma. Happened with Endor. Short of having someone guard the trail 24/7 all you can do is ask people not to be dbags. Results are usually mixed on that though. It also sends a little bit of a confusing message when people are seeing pictures of people riding the trail all over the place. Not blaming anyone for that, just pointing out that a lot of people are going to say to themselves "If they can can ride it, why can't I?"

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup...all that above. Though, this is a unique situation where if you do get caught (which might not be too difficult as they are out on the trail quite a lot)...you better have a pile of cash and time to kill cause the ticket will be gnar.

·
padded
705 Posts
I get the feeling the people who are reading this are probably not the ones poaching an under-construction trail.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Though, this is a unique situation where if you do get caught (which might not be too difficult as they are out on the trail quite a lot)...you better have a pile of cash and time to kill cause the ticket will be gnar.
Maybe they could hand out tickets on the weekend and start putting the fines back into the pot for the construction costs... Least then if people got caught they could view it as a donation! ;)

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
Thanks for posting this up, Squashyo! :thumbsup:

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
Bummer to hear, but not surprising.

What about putting down some of those big tarps you use to hold in moisture, other low tech barriers, punji sticks, etc.? Maybe some surveillance warning signs: "Smile: You're on Camera"

VV Huh?!

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
Volunteers who have registered for a workday, shown up at the start, signed waivers, listened to an interminable safety talk, applied tools to the trail, broken a sweat for several hours wearing work gloves and boots, had their work critiqued by crew leaders, and then finally at the end of the day gotten a chance to test the flow of the section they built on their bikes, were permitted to ride the entire segment once all the crews had finished and tools had been brought back to the tool cache. That is why the almost-completed segments of the trail have been ridden.

The Flow Trail is a CLOSED AREA. Unauthorized persons may not enter. Volunteers who are properly engaged on the project and led by the project team are authorized and may enter ON PROJECT WORKDAYS ONLY (see above). Signs are posted stating exactly that.

Anyway the OP was one of those authorized people. Multiple times. He earned his turns. Who are you?

I will be out on the trail this weekend since I'm not going to Sea Otter for once. I'll be there inspecting the work area and recording the trail construction status. I kinda doubt I will see many people there, but I'll let you know.

I also want to look at that downed tree on Braille to see what we are dealing with so we can get a qualified sawyer out to remove it.

Oh, and I have a mushroom gathering permit, so with any luck I might come home with a chanterelle.

Patty

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Is there an actual reason why it's bad to ride the trail before it's completed other than "it's against the rules"? Wouldn't riding the trail actually help pack the dirt down?

·
Perpetual n00b
1,785 Posts
Is there an actual reason why it's bad to ride the trail before it's completed other than "it's against the rules"? Wouldn't riding the trail actually help pack the dirt down?
Our trails here in Iowa have only been open for a week or less and we already have July hardpack thanks to all the traffic. This coming off the worst winter I can remember.

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
There are still some soft spots and some areas where the construction is incomplete. There are also tarps keeping moisture in where we need it, and other things in the way. Because we live in a crazy world CAL FIRE isn't willing to put the public (or taxpayer dollars) at risk letting people use an incomplete trail. They are also helping us protect moist areas from rutting and blowing out uncompacted areas that aren't ready for use.

But the nice thing is that they have agreed that once each segment has been completed and passed inspection that it can be opened to riding without the whole trail being finished. That's better than you get anywhere else.

Patty

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
Just someone who has also earned his turns.

I did a post to a friend recently that went something like this. Without this trail there wouldn't be this trail and without that trail there wouldn't be this trail and without that trail there wouldn't be another trail. The list was about fifty trails long.

You guys are doing a great job. I think it is safe to say without all the prior work you and Charles have done at Demo there would probably be no FLOW TRAIL.
Thanks insguy. Sounds like you get it. Sometimes it stuns me how old I've gotten doing this trail and that trail. The thing is that each of those trails is in me and I've learned something from every one.

Patty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts