Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal to park cars on aptos creek road coming from Demo?

There were a bunch of trucks parked at the closed metal gate up Buzards.

Now that aptos creek road has been leveled flat on the demo side, folks can easily shuttle.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
Earn your turns dude.

I can't think of a quicker way to ruin demo then to have packs of shuttlers inundating the place. Braille, Sawpit and the rest of the trails stay good because they are hard to get to.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,826 Posts
It's as legal as parking on Highland road. Let's just say we'll not see any parking enforcement unless someone blocks access.

We used to park there when the main lot was closed and there was a risk of car theft.

Shuttlers?? When people park there, usually means the start the ride there and end there. Demo can't really be shuttled effectively.

I estimate that there were prolly 500 people at Demo last week to ride the Flow. We should use that to educate, recruit and mobilize users. We need to explain how thus trail happened and how we can make more.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I cant think of a better way to hold back the sport than everyone spouting some holier than thou earn your turns attitude. not everyone has the time, desire, or ability to ride 25 miles and 5000ft of climbing at demo. some people just want to ride bikes and they are our allies in getting more access and more trails.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I cant think of a better way to hold back the sport than everyone spouting some holier than thou earn your turns attitude. not everyone has the time, desire, or ability to ride 25 miles and 5000ft of climbing at demo. some people just want to ride bikes and they are our allies in getting more access and more trails.

While I kind of agree with you on the not being elitist on who can ride. It should also be noted that you have to climb your a$$ out once you finish Flow, Saw Pit or Braille. While the climb out is not particularly steep, it can be some work for how long it is. So, you have to have some ability to "earn your turns".

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,284 Posts
Hello. Random passerby here.

Did any of you guys imagine 2, 5, 10 years (whatever) ago that you would have A) seen five hundred dudes in Demo ever and B) would have been up in arms over the shuttle or not to shuttle?

I ride little 'ol Toro Park frequently where I've watched evolution of the sport take place over the last 20 years. If you told me there'd be 500 dudes of any stature in my little place of peace and exile, I'd move to Idaho, or something. It's hard enough seeing the skidkiddies show up on weekends.

The old saying "build it and they will come" is so relevant in this argument.. Only downfall is that "they" showed up.. Lot's of them.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,826 Posts
Agreed.

What we need is an 10-year old to have a great experience and tell all the kids at school about it. What we need is a mom to discover the glory of riding and educate her mom's group about it and start a high school team. What we need is a noob tech dude to fall in love with the sport and donate $300 million of his startup empire to build more trails. Whether they shuttle to the top of Montebello or not to get going, it doesn't really matter.

And we need the shredders to keep riding and spreading the stoke.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Hello. Random passerby here.

Did any of you guys imagine 2, 5, 10 years (whatever) ago that you would have A) seen five hundred dudes in Demo ever and B) would have been up in arms over the shuttle or not to shuttle?

I ride little 'ol Toro Park frequently where I've watched evolution of the sport take place over the last 20 years. If you told me there'd be 500 dudes of any stature in my little place of peace and exile, I'd move to Idaho, or something. It's hard enough seeing the skidkiddies show up on weekends.

The old saying "build it and they will come" is so relevant in this argument.. Only downfall is that "they" showed up.. Lot's of them.
These are public lands. They're for the public. With increased traffic comes increased responsibility but also opportunity.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,826 Posts
Something that's going on too is the other other trails around Demo like Saw Pit, Braille and Corral are getting a recovery break.

And I heard ALL the illegal trail networks are getting a rest too.

500 seems like a high number and it is. But since Demo is one-directional and the riders come all day, You'll only see 20-30 people on the trail at one time.

Weekdays is the mother-lode there. You won't encounter another rider but there's 10-20 cars in the lot so there's no more thefts really to speak of.

fc

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
^^ Remember the Alamo?!

I'm not a big fan of crowds either, but: There was a Flow party on Saturday, so that inflated the crowd, but--like fc said--people get dispersed out there really well. I put in 24 miles, and the only issue I had were a couple of fellow AARPers on the Flow trail that didn't want to let people pass--and that was only a problem for a minute. C'est la vie!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
One lap around demo starting from the Demo parking lot (not Aptos parking lot)including Flow is 13.5 miles and 2500' of elevation gain. That is a mini ride for all but the most novice rider.

If someone can't ride that without shuttling some portion of it I personally would suggest that person stay away regardless of what they contribute to access, but I also know that shuttling/not shuttling will naturally equilibrate over the long run too. I think it would be kinda funny to see a bunch of people swarming around in their cars at the top.

To me it's a non-issue.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Yeah - even though I have no problem w/ shuttling as a concept and have done it many times, I think that shuttling demo is a silly idea and a fool's errand - you gotz to ride in and out of that place so the amount pedaling that is saved is so minimal and it cuts out a relatively easier part of the climb.

That Shuttlesmith dude is cool and everything but I'm frankly surprised he's still in biz w/ that route that he runs b/c it doesn't really help you ride Demo at all - now if he was picking people up at the bottom of Sawpit and dropped off at the top of Sulphur that would be a service!

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
^^ I doubt most people using that service are there to primarily ride Demo, yea they might do a loop in there, but there is a lot of vert between the drop off point and Aptos.

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
^^ Jinx!

Yo, skyno bro! Good points, but I think most of Shuttlesmith's customers are dropping the "fireroads" down through Nisene.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
^^ Remember the Alamo?!

I'm not a big fan of crowds either, but: There was a Flow party on Saturday, so that inflated the crowd, but--like fc said--people get dispersed out there really well. I put in 24 miles, and the only issue I had were a couple of fellow AARPers on the Flow trail that didn't want to let people pass--and that was only a problem for a minute. C'est la vie!
Interesting,
I have found the every single time I come up on someone, they let me pass and a very courteous.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
They don't exist so much that they have turned into highways the past 6-8 months with that shuttle running every weekend.

Few Sundays ago I witnessed a group of 10+ that he dropped off, and instructed on route back down to Aptos, going the wrong way from the bench at Sand Point on a busy day for hiking. Booo.....

Kinda wish "Shuttle Steve" would move elsewhere, like maybe the central valley. :)
Good guy and all, but majorly lacking in trail etiquette for the sensitive areas around here.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts