Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
middle ring single track
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poking around to see if the rules at Nisene Marks SP have changed (they haven't) I came across this:

Road and Trail Closures

"The Upper Aptos Creek/Buzzard Lagoon Roadside Fuelbreak Project is a high priority CAL Fire project that will address Governor Newsom's Emergency Proclamation on Wildfire Risk. This project covers sections of The Forest of Nisene Marks State Park and the Soquel Demonstration Forest. Due to public safety hazards associated with heavy equipment operation, temporary road and trail closures are necessary.

Closures in effect: July 15 until fall rains begin; Monday-Friday, daylight hours

Closure Details:
Phase I (Tentative start date: July 15): Upper Buzzard Lagoon Road and upper Aptos Creek Fire Road from Buzzard Lagoon Road intersection to Santa Rosalia Overlook at Ridge Trail intersection.

Phase II (Following Phase I completion): Upper Aptos Creek Fire Road, from Ridge Trail intersection to Sandpoint Overlook.

Phase III (Following Phase II completion): Hinckley Fire Road from Sandpoint Overlook to Westridge Trail intersection.

Phase IV (TBD): Ridge Trail in Soquel Demonstration Forest."

Looks to me that getting to the top via Ridge Trail won't be possible for a couple of time periods. (Especially if parking on Highland)

·
Registered
63 Posts
The work is dangerous and will involve contractors using heavy equipment called "masticators,'' that chop and shred brush and small trees. Bulldozers will also be used to crush brush and chaparral for later burning after winter rains begin.
The work will extend an average of 100 feet on each side of the road, depending on terrain. In some areas, it could extend as much as 300 feet, Hubbs said.
Hopefully this doesn't mean Ridge Trail gets turned into a fire road in Phase IV :nono:

This tidbit is also interesting:

Another project in the near future will involve work on the Sawpit Trail and affect access in the Soquel Demonstration State Forest.
I wonder if this has anything to do with the rumors of Sawpit re-opening that were posted here a while ago.

·
middle ring single track
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FWIW 3 or 4 years ago (or more???) Hihns Mill got the fuel break treatment and nobody was complaining. But it was more hand work and I don't remember them closing the road. In the dim times Ridge Trail was a road all the way through.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Piggybacking on this thread...

Planning to hit demo for the first time this weekend, primarily for FLOW. I haven't done any homework just yet in terms of where to park and route but will shortly. Just wanted to check with folks that are familiar.... do any of these restrictions affect a first time visitor. I'm assuming no since we'll be going on a weekend but wanted to check for the less obvious aspects.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hopefully this is something like they did in the Ashland watershed and not just clear cutting the ridgelines. What they have done in Ashland is super smart considering the days we live in; greatly reduces the fire risk while maintaining the forest canopy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hopefully this is something like they did in the Ashland watershed and not just clear cutting the ridgelines. What they have done in Ashland is super smart considering the days we live in; greatly reduces the fire risk while maintaining the forest canopy.
Hopefully, but
The powerful tractor-mounted tools are capable of throwing heavy chunks of wood 200 feet or more.
doesn't sound like a super cautious and careful approach...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.