Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking about buying a new bike, right now i have a banshee scream and ive been thinking about upgrading to a demo 9. Who rides them and what do you think of them? Think i should switch

·
Bum Buzzer
1,991 Posts
9 or 8? Planning on getting a used one?

They make Demo 7's and 8's, no more 9's - I think the last were 06, but there might be 07, not sure.

They are sweet bikes and as far as I know (havent any prolonged Scream time) will flow better, is a better dh/fast bike, but still a good chuckmonster too.

If you are doing monster drops and focused on the slow nasty, I would think the Scream was a keeper, if you want to fly more and rip the rough, then a Demo would be a sound choice.

now wait for the other options everyone will offer you that you didnt ask about!! YAY!!

(Dude, get a Sunday/R9/Canfield/V10/Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Bansheeboy10 said:
im thinking about buying a new bike, right now i have a banshee scream and ive been thinking about upgrading to a demo 9. Who rides them and what do you think of them? Think i should switch
Get a Demo 8. Demo 9's were great bikes, but way way way to heavy. I struggled to get my Demo 9 under 46lbs. The weight's not worth the extra strength of the 9, the 8 will stand up to plenty of abuse.
I used to ride a Scream before I had the Demo and when comparing the two there is a lot of differences. The Demo corners better, handles the steep/fast stuff better, and doesn't squat under braking as much as the Scream did, although it still does squat despite what Specialized says about FSR. It's slacker, lower, and longer. So it handles the DH a bit better than the Scream. But the Scream felt like it had a livelier rear end, handled the slower speed stuff way better, and popped better off jumps and drops.
So it comes down to what kind of stuff you ride really. A good mix of DH/FR, demo. Mostly FR/slower North Shore styles stuff, Scream, or one of the newer FR options out there that might suit you better (Scream is heavy, there are lots of newer, better FR bikes available now.)

·
Registered
954 Posts
I love my 9, but would go with a D7 or 8 moving forward due to the weight. They are awesome bikes, but really are hefty and the new rigs are just as capable.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Huck Banzai said:
9 or 8? Planning on getting a used one?

They make Demo 7's and 8's, no more 9's - I think the last were 06, but there might be 07, not sure.

They are sweet bikes and as far as I know (havent any prolonged Scream time) will flow better, is a better dh/fast bike, but still a good chuckmonster too.

If you are doing monster drops and focused on the slow nasty, I would think the Scream was a keeper, if you want to fly more and rip the rough, then a Demo would be a sound choice.

now wait for the other options everyone will offer you that you didnt ask about!! YAY!!

(Dude, get a Sunday/R9/Canfield/V10/Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah)
Don't forget the MC Shockwave 9.5.(9.5inches of travel) Single Pivot Monocoque with Reactor 2 leverage ratio manipulating link, floating brake kit option (but a must!). This beast has the good traits of any extreme FR/DH rig: High bottom bracket / low center of gravity; long wheelbase/short cockpit. It likes to jump and takes gnarly multiple hits and rocky steep chutes with ease yet still takes fast corners like it's on rails.

The optional brake floater of the 9.5isolates brake force from suspension movement thus traction is further improved without any jack/squat. I've heard the Demos still have a bit of either jack or squat but is less noticeable compared to single pivots or faux bars.

Mountaincycle has re-opened and has a couple of these frames in stock for around $1k so go give em a buzz

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What size should i get if i go for a demo 8 or 9. Im 6 1 and 160 lbs?

·
Can't get right...
556 Posts
I miss my Demo..... Have no need for it in Florida but dam i miss my Demo....

Attachments

·
Can't get right...
556 Posts
chooofoojoo said:
I recognize that bike :skep: ... i've worked on it.... did you sell it to a guy in colorado by chance?

Actually a guy in NYC but his bro always was in Colorado skiing. I kept the wheels in pic. If the one u worked on had azonic outlaws then thats it....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts