Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,

I've got my eyes on a used Demo 9 (from 06) - just wanted to see if any of you guys here happen to have any experience on one, and if so, what are your thoughts? I need a big hit DH/FR rig to relieve my Enduro SL of some of its heavier duties :) ....don't really want to drop the coin on a new bike right now, so this one may be a good compromise:

-Anything to look out for with the Demo 9 (cracks, bearings, etc)....
-How does it ride? I presume it's up for the abuse, but maybe its a bit too slack in the headtube? Does it rail nicely etc?

thanks in advance...

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've never owned one, but I've ridden an '05 (and know friends who love them), and MAN is it buttery... I'm not a DH/FR guy, but from everything I gather it's the best on the market. I own an Enduro SL too, and I'd say comparatively speaking, obviously the Enduro is much stiffer and pedals far more efficiently. I wouldn't bother trying to climb with a Demo, but if you're looking to huck yourself off some cliffs, it's probably the safest buy on the market. AND, Specialized always stands by their products.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SurfSailRide said:
I've never owned one, but I've ridden an '05 (and know friends who love them), and MAN is it buttery... I'm not a DH/FR guy, but from everything I gather it's the best on the market. I own an Enduro SL too, and I'd say comparatively speaking, obviously the Enduro is much stiffer and pedals far more efficiently. I wouldn't bother trying to climb with a Demo, but if you're looking to huck yourself off some cliffs, it's probably the safest buy on the market. AND, Specialized always stands by their products.
Obviously this bike will complement the SL, for the "go-bigger" days....no way am I getting rid of the SL, I've put far too much love into getting it just the way I want it, and I REALLY enjoy the way it rides now, both up and down (mainly down... :D ). I just don't want to push the SL to a point where I'm asking it to put up with unreasonable amounts of abuse...hence the need for something beefier.

So, I won't be comparing it to the SL. I've ridden quite a few DH/FR bikes (Commencal Supreme, Giant Glory, Demo 7, etc), I know what to expect from. More interested in people's input on durability and ride characteristics of the Demo 9 from a DH/FR point of view. Also, since it has an unusually slack headtube angle, I am wondering if it is overkill for the FR side of things....

·
Registered
919 Posts
How about an SX Trail or BigHit (Though the BigHit may be overkill too). Of the bikes you mentioned, I'd say the Specialized are the best... If you can find an older beaten up Demo cheap enough, it may be worth it (even if it is overkill) just so you can pound the hell out of it... I agree 100% with the Enduro, by the way. Picked up a new '08 leftover for $1600 (what a steal) and couldn't be happier. At this point in time, it's my ONLY mountain bike, and it's really all I need because it can do everything. But like you, I've considered buying a Kona Stinky or Demo or BigHit just to pound the hell out of...

·
Registered
925 Posts
Go Demo 7 or 8. The 7 gets 7.7" of travel, enough for anything I'd throw at it.. I've had the demo 8 too and is a great bike that can be pedaled like the 7. The 9 can weigh close to 50 lbs., my 7 weighs 39lbs and the 8 was at 42.5 lbs.
From the pics that you've posted riding the SL, I'd say the demo 7 would handle all your needs (a bit more expensive though)
The demo 9 is like a hammer = good for one thing only,,, taking a beat down

·
Registered
758 Posts
Iceman! Apologies for hijacking your thread bro!!!! I also need some advice as I am going thru the same process you are as I mentioned on the Enduro SL Action thread a while ago.

I am looking at a 2008 ex-rental Demo 2008 purchased as frame and built by the shop in Whistler. I still haven't seen the bike or have full details on the components used by the shop as I am still in Australia but will be there by the beginning of February and hopefully making a move.

My understanding is that rental bikes get trashed to the max but hey, that's what the Demos are design for. I've been told to check the wheels thoroughly. They shop owner confirmed all the bearings have been replaced and bike is fully serviced. Apparently the wheels are "OK" as well. Any additional advice on what I have to check for? I am thinking the obvious, any cracks on the frame, links, etc.

Like you Iceman, I feel that I am trashing my SL too much. Went for a XC ride last weekend and it felt horrible so she is at the doctors now getting a full check.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
iguanabartola said:
Iceman! Apologies for hijacking your thread bro!!!! I also need some advice as I am going thru the same process you are as I mentioned on the Enduro SL Action thread a while ago.

I am looking at a 2008 ex-rental Demo 2008 purchased as frame and built by the shop in Whistler. I still haven't seen the bike or have full details on the components used by the shop as I am still in Australia but will be there by the beginning of February and hopefully making a move.

My understanding is that rental bikes get trashed to the max but hey, that's what the Demos are design for. I've been told to check the wheels thoroughly. They shop owner confirmed all the bearings have been replaced and bike is fully serviced. Apparently the wheels are "OK" as well. Any additional advice on what I have to check for? I am thinking the obvious, any cracks on the frame, links, etc.

Like you Iceman, I feel that I am trashing my SL too much. Went for a XC ride last weekend and it felt horrible so she is at the doctors now getting a full check.
Hi-jack away, Iguana! Good luck with your bike hunt.

Demodube, yeah, I'd love a Demo 8 (I don't really think I NEED a Rampage huck bike :D ), but where I live it's hard to come by used DH bikes for "cheap"....so, keeping my options open. My SL will continue to do duty as my main ride, it's perfect for pretty much everything we have going on here, except the really big drops and rough terrain....so that's what I'm after.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guh....updates....yeah, well, I did see the bike, but before I had a chance to take it for a spin, I had a major crash on the SL (attempting a very big drop), completely busted up my hand, ribs, lower back.....I'm out for a few weeks at least (the wrist is badly sprained).... :-(

I was going to post the pics of that drop in the SL action thread, but I'm gonna wait until I do it properly and stick it all up together....

So the D9 (or whatever) will have to wait.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just sprains and bruises.

I set the drop up wrong (first time on this one). It's got a pretty gnarly landing, you have to be spot on in terms of the direction you're headed, or you end up in the rocks on the side of the trail further down. I obviously failed to do that, went offline, and when I tried to correct (after the landing which was OK in itself), my wheel got caught on a root and I went OTB big time. Since a picture speaks a thousand words....here's a video of the action:

http://www.icemandrums.com/Samurai_Jack_big_crash_jan_10_2009.wmv

Now I have to wait to heal up, and go hit the damn thing again....:skep:

Oh and yeah - the bike was fine. :D

·
Registered
758 Posts
THAT IS MASSIVE!!!! What is it, like 15' or what?? Looks like more!!! The landing looks good is just that little mistake that cost you big! Are you trying it again once back on the bike?

Good to see the SL taking the hit so well too. I guess the new shock helps a lot too.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know how big it is, we call it "the 10-footer" (i.e. 3 meters) to be on the safe side. All depends on how you measure...but the actual rockwall is probably around 8 feet at the face...then it all depends on how far you go until you actually land it...

Yeah, I'll go back to it once I can actually ride again - I need to get 'er done properly! Looks like it will be a few weeks at least though....bummer.....

The SL took it fine. The new shock certainly helps. But, this is really as far as I intend to take it (actually I don't want to be hitting this kind of stuff too often with the poor thing...hence the need for something a bit bigger....). But, I do want to finish it off properly before that.....

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sq225917 said:
You just locked that front up there, great effort though.
Yeah, well what happened was that I set up for the drop wrong. You can't tell from the video, but you absolutely cannot go left after landing this drop, there is a nasty pile of rocks waiting for you there. Guess what - I went left....then tried to turn back on track, front started skidding and then caught on a root. Don't think I was even on the brakes yet...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.