Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be getting a Demo 8 pro and am only 125 pounds so i want to srop weight, im going to strip it down to the fram fork shifter rear D and maybe keep the rear shock
headset-no name crap to a king
stem-Syncros BearHug HD to not sure something light, stiff, and short
bars-Specialized Demo rise bar to something WIDE OS and 25 mil rise
brakes-HFX mags to hope minis or M4s im not sure yet
cranks-Holzfeller to something like fireX(if i change them)
guide-blackspire DS1 to something lighter
wheels-Specialized Stout disc on 721s to something with king hubs on some sort of all mountian rim
tires-Specialized Roller RS 2.4 to some WTB timberwolfs the race ones
seat- Specialized freeride to something light with ti rails
and maybe an airshock if i can find one that fits

any ideas on how to get it lighter, money isnt realy an issue on this bike. please no carbon or ti bolts i dont want my bars to break or my bolts to back out

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Whats do you want this bike to be? freerider, downhiller???

I don't think the Hope brakes will save a whole lot of weight. And I wouldn't get hope minis for a bike like that...

Cranks- get something like XT or XTR... they are actually quite strong.

You should consider something like a DH carbon bar. You can trust them.... just follow the instructions closely, and if you crash, check over it for any damage...

What pedals are you running? Flats or clipless?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bike_freak said:
Whats do you want this bike to be? freerider, downhiller???

I don't think the Hope brakes will save a whole lot of weight. And I wouldn't get hope minis for a bike like that...

Cranks- get something like XT or XTR... they are actually quite strong.

You should consider something like a DH carbon bar. You can trust them.... just follow the instructions closely, and if you crash, check over it for any damage...

What pedals are you running? Flats or clipless?
im going with hopes because they are them best brakes for modulation. it is going to be a DH bike as for the pedals im going to run some sort of crank bros eather mallet Ms or candys. the bike is going to be used alot at north star where i crash ALOT and there are ALOT of rocks thats mainly why carbon is out

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
Just out of curiosity, if you're downhilling at N*, why is weight that much of an issue? And I'll have to agree with bike_freak on the point that you probably shouldn't use Hope Minis for a ride like that....

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VA2SLOride said:
Just out of curiosity, if you're downhilling at N*, why is weight that much of an issue? And I'll have to agree with bike_freak on the point that you probably shouldn't use Hope Minis for a ride like that....
weight is a concern because i am only 125 pounds and need to be able to throw my boke around through rock gardens, and you are right about the minis i will probably get M4s

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
themontashu said:
weight is a concern because i am only 125 pounds and need to be able to throw my boke around through rock gardens, and you are right about the minis i will probably get M4s
I'm 125 pouds and woldn't run XC parts on a DH bike...

But I would run some trail bike parts:)

A build list that I would go with... It's quite bling and $$$

Alright, keep the demo 8 frame(seeing it is YOUR bike:) ).
King headset
King hubs with thru axle's where you can.
DT swiss's new DH rims or syncro rims... You want them to be strong...
Sapim CX ray spokes and Alloy nips.
Hope M4 brakes with 203mm up front and 180rear.
Candy SL pedals or Mallet M's.
XT hollowtech 2 crankset or something Raceface:)
Sram drivetrain. Dureace cassette, hollowpin chain the whole drivetrain alloy bolt tuned.
thompson seatpost.
Some seat like a Selle italia SLR(steve peat uses one.. or used to..)
thompson stem or simliar. The new X4... OS.
Carbon bars... Or Racewface Diablous..
As for tyres.. you don't want to be runing anything too light or you will puncture, Maybe look in the 1kg range for tyres:)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bike_freak said:
I'm 125 pouds and woldn't run XC parts on a DH bike...

But I would run some trail bike parts:)

A build list that I would go with... It's quite bling and $$$

Alright, keep the demo 8 frame(seeing it is YOUR bike:) ).
King headset
King hubs with thru axle's where you can.
DT swiss's new DH rims or syncro rims... You want them to be strong...
Sapim CX ray spokes and Alloy nips.
Hope M4 brakes with 203mm up front and 180rear.
Candy SL pedals or Mallet M's.
XT hollowtech 2 crankset or something Raceface:)
Sram drivetrain. Dureace cassette, hollowpin chain the whole drivetrain alloy bolt tuned.
thompson seatpost.
Some seat like a Selle italia SLR(steve peat uses one.. or used to..)
thompson stem or simliar. The new X4... OS.
Carbon bars... Or Racewface Diablous..
As for tyres.. you don't want to be runing anything too light or you will puncture, Maybe look in the 1kg range for tyres:)
thanks for the advice, im not worried about punctures im going to be running tubeless but that isnt to far from something i would run, i prefer sram but will run the XT till it breaks off

·
Registered
329 Posts
themontashu said:
I'm going to be getting a Demo 8 pro and am only 125 pounds so i want to srop weight, im going to strip it down to the fram fork shifter rear D and maybe keep the rear shock
headset-no name crap to a king
stem-Syncros BearHug HD to not sure something light, stiff, and short
bars-Specialized Demo rise bar to something WIDE OS and 25 mil rise
brakes-HFX mags to hope minis or M4s im not sure yet
cranks-Holzfeller to something like fireX(if i change them)
guide-blackspire DS1 to something lighter
wheels-Specialized Stout disc on 721s to something with king hubs on some sort of all mountian rim
tires-Specialized Roller RS 2.4 to some WTB timberwolfs the race ones
seat- Specialized freeride to something light with ti rails
and maybe an airshock if i can find one that fits

any ideas on how to get it lighter, money isnt realy an issue on this bike. please no carbon or ti bolts i dont want my bars to break or my bolts to back out
I second the motion to nix the FireX cranks. Been there . . . done that. Bent a crankarm on a botched up wheelie-drop to flat . . . and it was only a little 2-1/2 drop. DHing that requires a Demo 8 class bike will create way more stress than a little 2-1/2 footer.

I'd add some other stuff the other guy didn't mention:
-your tubeless tire plan is a good idea
-SDG I-beam FRD saddle (Ti rails will bend - as per my Terry Liberator race)
-SDG I-beam seat post or whoever (can apparently save 100 - 200 g on the combo)
-E-13 SRS lexan chainguide (best and lightest in the game so I hear)
-Fox DHX 5.0 rear shock with titanium spring if they ever get their QC issues sorted out (save a pound here)
-outboard bottom bracket / crank arm combo as suggested above (maybe even RaceFace Atlas (questionable for DH) or Diabolus if you don't like Shimano's exclusionary interface marketing strategies

It's pretty questionable how much more weight you can lose within a reasonable budget when you include reliability in the solution. Weight reduction from the Demo 9 was the Specialized designer's primary mandate and I'd have to say they did a pretty good job. The Demo 9 is one hella porky bike. A stock titanium rear shock spring on the Demo 8? Fox 40 with titanium coils? Mavic 721 rims? Hayes Mags? and Syncros ain't crap either. Demo 8 comes with a solid parts spec, man - not a lot of easy fat to trim.

Good luck and let us know how much weight you shave.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.