Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about a getting a Demo 8 this summer and I was wondering how the Demo series rides. Also how does the Swinger 4way perform on this bike and what about the Boxxer race is that going to be that bad because I dont really want to ask the guy Im working for to upgrade the fork. Thanks for any help you guys can give me
Cwilly

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
zedro said:
holy search button Batman....

lots been said, in case you dont feel like waiting. Ya i know it isnt as exciting...
Where the hell did your grammar go? You're supposed to set an example for the folks here, and yet you don't display accurate characteristics of proper English. ;)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
hmmmm

Cwilly006 said:
I am thinking about a getting a Demo 8 this summer and I was wondering how the Demo series rides. Also how does the Swinger 4way perform on this bike and what about the Boxxer race is that going to be that bad because I dont really want to ask the guy Im working for to upgrade the fork. Thanks for any help you guys can give me
Cwilly
I have rode this bike at my lbs and the swinger 4way is kick a$$. but the boxxer is not the best fork for this bike I would go with s shiver or a 888r

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Where the hell did your grammar go? You're supposed to set an example for the folks here, and yet you don't display accurate characteristics of proper English. ;)
well, one of two things can happen. Either people can pick up my example, or i can fall to theirs :p

i didnt think it was that bad....

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
zedro said:
well, one of two things can happen. Either people can pick up my example, or i can fall to theirs :p

i didnt think it was that bad....
I know, it wasn't that bad, I was just givin' ya sh1t for it. :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just picked up a Demo 8 frame and set it up with a '04 888 RC. I chose the D8 over the D9 because I am racing this year and want a bike that runs downhill. But I also do quite a bit of freeriding - the Demo 8 won Red Bull 2004. There are two shock mount positions which change the geometry which I didn't realize. The lower setting gives you slack head tube angle and lower bottom bracket height for downhill, and the upper setting gives you steeper head tube angle and higher bottom bracket clearance for freeride. Plus the D8 is slightly lighter for more adgility. I think I made the right decision - the bike feels great.

I haven't completely dialed in the Swinger 4 way yet but I haven't been able to reach the bottom yet. Lots of adjustability and when you get the SPV pressure set right, you get very minimal pedal bob when you really are pumping.

I have heard that the Boxxer is an excellent shock when used for what it was made: downhill racing. I don't think they stand up to the freeride abuse.

Ask away if you have any other questions. I don't think I'll get tired of this new bike for a while.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Cwilly006 said:
Cwilly
Heavy on anything other than DOWN. 4 way IMO better than 6 way, easier to set up and more than enough damping / adjustment to keep everyone but the most technodweeb happy.

Demos are rad, unless your racing, then i'd go for something lighter like an M3 which is 4 or 5 pounds lighter in the frame alone. I love my demo. They are stable and in the rough stuff are loads better than single pivots or vpp due to active braking characteristics. If the stuff you ride aint that rough though or your an experienced dher go something lighter.

Boxxer races are poo. get a 888, shiver or DH40RC

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
sdtmtb said:
Demos are rad, unless your racing, then i'd go for something lighter like an M3 which is 4 or 5 pounds lighter in the frame alone. I love my demo. They are stable and in the rough stuff are loads better than single pivots or vpp due to active braking characteristics./QUOTE]

So the M3s have 8lbs frames? I also love the active braking characteristics of FSR.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
TheSherpa said:
sdtmtb said:
Demos are rad, unless your racing, then i'd go for something lighter like an M3 which is 4 or 5 pounds lighter in the frame alone. I love my demo. They are stable and in the rough stuff are loads better than single pivots or vpp due to active braking characteristics./QUOTE]

So the M3s have 8lbs frames? I also love the active braking characteristics of FSR.
Sorry, my mistake, M3s are 11 pounds. Demo 9 with Ti spring 14.9 pounds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.