Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - need some help - I'm looking to buy myself a DH/FR type bike, and I'm trying to decided between an '08 Demo 7 and an '08 Giant Glory 1 - have found good deals on both bikes, just tryign to decide now. Both are fairly similar setups, the Giant has a little more travel on the rear (8"), both have 180mm 66s on the front, very little to choose between them spec-wise other than that.

I'm in Ireland, so there's no chairlifts, apart from summer trips to the alps, any riding I do will be preceded by a pedal to the top.

With that in mind, the Demo deal is for a medium - is that too small for me at 6', considering I'd be pedalling it? I can get the Glory in any size, although it's a shade more expensive. Both are internet offers, I haven't found a friend or an LBS with a Demo that I can try for size.

Can the Demo 7 take a front derailleur? Two rings would really help the pedalling - the Glory comes with a two ring setup, the Demo's a single.

Aside from the sizing and the derailleur, I think the Demo's a better bike for me, it's almost six pounds lighter than the Glory, and it doesn't need a 150mm rear wheel, so I can use my spare wheelset to lighten it up a bit. If someone can set my mind at ease on the sizing and derailleur issues, I think that's my decision made....

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
it may be too small for you but i have heard of tall riders using small demos and SXT's, you wont know until you try it yourself, another thing to keep in mind is that the shock and fork springs may be too light for you if your 6 foot frame is on the heavier side

a demo 7 can take a front derailleur and your going to need it if your going to pedal it up just about any hill, i was considering a demo 7 it was a lot cheaper than an SXT 2 but in the end i opted for the SXT because of the stock front derailleur, good luck

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm a hair over 6 ft' and ride a medium SX Trail. I do quite a bit of pedaling on it, but chose it based on its downhill abilities. That being said, I would not go with a different size. I have not ridden a demo 7, but from what I have read the cockpit is a bit cramped for us taller guys.

If most of what you are doing involves a pedal to the top I would suggest looking at the SX Trail, Giant Reign X, or something else in that category. Both are excellent descenders and will leave you with a little juice to enjoy the downhills.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, have considered the SX trail, but want to go a little more towards the DH end of things, I already have a lighter all mountain bike I use most of the time, the Demo would be mainly be pedalled up fire roads between runs, as opposed to all day rides.

I've found another deal on the Demo in a large, and it's the same price as the Glory...... it's down to preference and the front derailleur now.

Decisions, decisions.....

·
Wil109
213 Posts
Hi,

I have just recently purchased a 08 Demo 7 in a large, I am 6'2" and I wish they did an XL the medium for me would be way to small and I have shorter legs (33 inch inseam) and longer torso. I struggle to pedal the demo up any hill and thats with the saddle up very high. I ride 50 - 100 miles a week to work. I have spec'd the Demo for a dual ring, you would need to:

Replace the cranks (they can't take an inner ring such as 22 or 24T).
Fit a dual ring chain guide, the E13 DRS is not suitable unless you have a machining tool.
Get a clamped front mech, front shifter, cabling.

I had a go on a Glory 1 and it is v. heavy but so is the Demo. The 66 RCV is pants, I am currently investigating why I can't get full travel. I hit an 8 foot drop and landed front wheel very heavily and only used 150 mm travel (I measured the tide mark). Apparently you can drain a little oil from the right leg which should increase the travel.

I would suggest the Demo because its so inspiring. The slacker head angle means you can drop off anything and feel mega confident however, if you can't get the right size I would maybe look at the Glory.

Hope this helps you in some way. Oh and I also had to upgrade the spring rate from the 550 to 650. Get on mojo.co.uk and enter in the details to find out what spring you need.

Wil

·
Registered
231 Posts
My son has a demo 7 I 08, It's a fantastic bike, very stable and plushy. I'm 5.9 and the M is perfect for freeriding and DH. I would consider the L to pedal uphill but I believe it could loose a bit of playing and cornering abilities...

·
Wil109
213 Posts
I would agree with the Large not cornering well. The long wheelbase makes it a pig to carve up corners. But for freeriding its fine, I had a loan of a medium big hit. Painful for pedalling but so-ooo easy for throwing around.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Wil109 said:
he 66 RCV is pants, I am currently investigating why I can't get full travel. I hit an 8 foot drop and landed front wheel very heavily and only used 150 mm travel (I measured the tide mark).
Simple, it comes with too much oil from the factory. Standard long time known marzocchi issue. Let some out and you´ll get full travel.

To original poster : If your ride uphill is only to enable the downhill, why worry so much about how the comfort on the way up is going to be? Even if it is a little short(I´m 6¨2 and ride a M) it still won´t be a good climber in size L. And size M would probably be very good for you downhill.

·
Wil109
213 Posts
konut said:
see i like the longer wheelbase,but i do have it in the high bb position.

and im 6,3 riding a large.
Hey Konut,

How do you put it in the higher BB position. I have read the manual and it doesn't seem to indicate this. Do you invert the mount for the front of the shock?

Wil

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wil109 said:
Hi,

I have just recently purchased a 08 Demo 7 in a large, I am 6'2" and I wish they did an XL the medium for me would be way to small and I have shorter legs (33 inch inseam) and longer torso. I struggle to pedal the demo up any hill and thats with the saddle up very high. I ride 50 - 100 miles a week to work. I have spec'd the Demo for a dual ring, you would need to:

Replace the cranks (they can't take an inner ring such as 22 or 24T).
Fit a dual ring chain guide, the E13 DRS is not suitable unless you have a machining tool.
Get a clamped front mech, front shifter, cabling.

I had a go on a Glory 1 and it is v. heavy but so is the Demo. The 66 RCV is pants, I am currently investigating why I can't get full travel. I hit an 8 foot drop and landed front wheel very heavily and only used 150 mm travel (I measured the tide mark). Apparently you can drain a little oil from the right leg which should increase the travel.

I would suggest the Demo because its so inspiring. The slacker head angle means you can drop off anything and feel mega confident however, if you can't get the right size I would maybe look at the Glory.

Hope this helps you in some way. Oh and I also had to upgrade the spring rate from the 550 to 650. Get on mojo.co.uk and enter in the details to find out what spring you need.

Wil
Thanks Wil, that's been really helpful. I have a set of dual-ring saints on my other bike that I'll swap over, and I'll pick up the front derailleur. I'll need the 650 spring too.

Still torn on the size, seems I'm right on the line between sizes, the more forums i search, the more conflicting views I get.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
westman said:
To original poster : If your ride uphill is only to enable the downhill, why worry so much about how the comfort on the way up is going to be? Even if it is a little short(I´m 6¨2 and ride a M) it still won´t be a good climber in size L. And size M would probably be very good for you downhill.
:D - see what I mean about the conflicting views?

It's a fair point though, I would be very much pedalling up purely to enable the downs.

I might just let the miser in me decide, and go with the cheaper medium.....

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
i havnt really noticed to be honest,i just didnt like how it felt in the lower setting,i use this for everything,i might have to push up hills but i can take in the scenary.

one thing i did notice though is that when i have my saddle all the way up the front is very light,and nervous but like mentioned before point this bike downward's and it flie's.

one thing for me though,is i am quite lanky so even the large is a little cramped,so i have my saddle set as far back as possible,i don't think this is helping with weight distribution so could be causing the light front end feeling.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 77 Posts